Removing old shower drain from concrete pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Fallline20h

Reaction score
B869F679-21F3-4D96-BC66-CB65FC366440.jpeg
55418B0B-8039-407B-83E0-0F52358025D7.jpeg

I have an old shower drain in a concrete base that we are retiling. I am wondering how to get the top flange piece out so that we can insert the new Durock drain system. It looks like it is glued in there. The old drain is ABS or PVC. Thanks for the help!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It is very likely that the drain was installed and the mortar bed was built around the drain. Down inside the drain, there should be weep holes which are draining the water from the liner within the concrete.

Fallline20h

Reaction score
thanks for the response. that makes sense but my question is how to get that top piece out so that i can put the new piece in for the new integrated drain system.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If it is a clamping drain in a mortar bed, there is no way to retrofit a new drain assy to the existing liner.

The durock kits I have seen are intended for building a new shower base, with a new liner.

Fallline20h

Reaction score
If it is a clamping drain in a mortar bed, there is no way to retrofit a new drain assy to the existing liner.

The durock kits I have seen are intended for building a new shower base, with a new liner.

Hmmm. K thanks. Not sure what to do about that then.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What kind of shower pan and shower construction method are you planning? That will make a difference in how to best attack this.

If it's the top part of a clamping drain, it is normally height adjustable, but you'd have to probably break out some of the mortar around it without damaging the liner before you could raise it. They aren't often interchangeable with a new top.

If you do have a clamping drain assembly, but wanted to convert the shower to a surface applied membrane, Schluter does make a conversion drain that attaches the to base of the clamping drain assembly.

So, without knowing for sure what you have and where you want to go, kind of hard to say for sure.

Fallline20h

Reaction score
What kind of shower pan and shower construction method are you planning? That will make a difference in how to best attack this.

If it's the top part of a clamping drain, it is normally height adjustable, but you'd have to probably break out some of the mortar around it without damaging the liner before you could raise it. They aren't often interchangeable with a new top.

If you do have a clamping drain assembly, but wanted to convert the shower to a surface applied membrane, Schluter does make a conversion drain that attaches the to base of the clamping drain assembly.

So, without knowing for sure what you have and where you want to go, kind of hard to say for sure.
so there is an existing concrete shower pan with a liner below a bunch of concrete. we were going to tile on top of this existing pitched pan and just install another water proofing layer (durock) since the old liner got ripped up with the shower demo. it does not look like a clamping drain to me. it just looks like a piece of abs that was glued in, maybe screwed in? with a drain plate that was screwed into that. not sure though... thanks for the help!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A lot of people don't think about the fact that concrete, mortar, or cement board all pass water/moisture through them. There must be a completely waterproof liner built into a shower pan which must be connected to the drain using a watertight method. You can remove the existing shower pan and install a new one, which will leave you with more options when it comes to doing it correctly. A shower pan is something that you definitely do not want to take shortcuts on, as it will only lead to major problems later.

Fallline20h

Reaction score
right. but we could easily put a new liner on top of the existing concrete and run it into the drain as long as we can get this drain configured in a way to work with a drain system. right? anyone have experience with the drain extender kits? thanks

Fallline20h

Reaction score
it seems like you can tile over and old tile shower floor no problem and just extend the drain. I am just stuck on how the water proofing works when doing something like this?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Previously you stated that the existing liner was damaged. If that is the case, the shower base is no longer watertight. If you are uncertain, you can flood test it to find out.