Removing broken shower arm piece... now I've done it!

Users who are viewing this thread

rhosch

Reaction score
So I googled and searched, came across this forum, searched some more and read.

Following the advice given in similar threads, I first tried the internal pipe wrench (couldn't find an easy-out in a big enough size at the local Lowe's), and after that failed to remove the threaded piece (about three or four threads worth, best I can see) I tried the hacksaw and tapping-screwdriver method.

Now I have some saw cuts into the copper elbow threads in a few places, and some pieces of the old shower arm that just refuse to come out. What now? There are enough clearish threads to screw in the new shower arm about three full turns, but even with a lot of pipe tape it drips around the threads. Not sure if that is because it isn't in tight enough, or because there are cuts through threads, or just because the threads are pretty ugly looking now in general (or all three).

Short of cutting a big hole in the drywall and replacing the elbow (which, incidentally, is probably beyond what I'm willing or capable of doing), is there anything else that can be done? Maybe with a smaller, thinner screwdriver, a lot more patience, and a pipe tap when all is done I might could salvage the elbow enough that it won't leak.

I also have a tube of pipe goop - some glue/sealant type stuff. Is that worth even considering? If a handyman or plumber has to fix my mess, how much do you think I'm looking at (drywall behind shower head - no tile)?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the new arm get tight, or is it bottoming on the remnants of the old one?

A tap may not fix it, but it might.

Try both the teflon tape and the pipe dope and see what happens.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to replace the fitting. Cut the drywall and go for it.

Also an easy out is not an internal pipe remover.

easy-out-1.jpg

Easy out with the end sawed off.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhosch

Reaction score
I think it bottoms out on the remnants before the threads fully tighten, but it does get about three or four threads of engagement. The leak is just a slow drip...

I don't the guys at Lowe's were the most informed on plumbing (not that I am either). We found an internal pipe wrench, and easy-out screw removers up to 1/2" diameter - needed a little bigger. Is there an easy-out type of tool specific to piping?

I think I'll try a smaller screwdriver and pipe tap before replacing the elbow... not much cost, and this morning I think my patience is better than last night. If it leaks after that with dope and tape, well, I can either ask for advice on replacing it myself or find a good handyman.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Here's a longshot...

These pipe threads are tapered, as you've probably noticed. You could try cutting off a couple of thread's worth of the end of the new shower arm, and screwing what's left into the remains of the elbow. This will match up the larger-diameter part of the arm with the larger-diameter part of the elbow, and maybe provide a tight-enough fit. You don't want to cut off too much on the first try, obviously, but keep cutting (or grinding), maybe one thread at a time, until it seals. Use plenty of pipe goop.

Good luck...

Mikey

Reaction score
If you really get desperate...

Do the above, then clean the arm and elbow thoroughly with MEK, and use a two-part epoxy instead of pipe goop. There's one called J-B Weld (http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php), which, along with duct tape, will hold anything together. This, of course, is a one-way street. If it fails, you're back to Cass's suggestion, which you may well get to anyway.

Last edited:

rhosch

Reaction score
Well, a pipe tap helped to remove the last few remnant tidbits, as well as cleaned up the treads as well as could be expected. The new shower arm threaded in fully. With pipe goop the leak is down to a drop every few seconds with shower head on and full pressure... not too bad.

For now, I've diverted the leak so that it comes to the outside of the wall under the shower arm flange... the wall is painted with enamel, and gets wet anyway, so I figured what the hell. I didn't put on the JB-Weld yet, so if there are other suggestions as to what might permanently stop the leak I can remove the arm, clean, and try something else. Wasn't sure if goop would seal better than PTFE tape, but with my cuts going below the tread root in a place or two I figured it might.

Thanks for the help - at least for now I've avoided doing a drywall and repaint job.

Mikey

Reaction score
Use 2 or 3 wraps of PTFE tape and goop. I use a particularly thick, messy blue goop whose name escapes me right now, but the real plumbers will undoubtedly have their own favorites as well, and probably remember the name.

mn_nobody

Reaction score
i'd just goto the back of the shower, remove the drop ell ear and replace it and any other sketch fittings. tthats just me though. why screw around? then install the shower head with four rounds of teflon tape and a light layer of pipe dope. use only tape on the part of the shower arm that contacts the head. thats just me though. why screw around?