Remove shower handle with no apparent set screw

Users who are viewing this thread

BrIan mckenna

Reaction score
The shower handle is getting harder to turn on and squeaking. Sounds like the cartridge is failing. Issue is taking the handle off. No visible set screw. I think it is made by santec.

Attachments

• 20200425_151031.jpg
    20200425_151031.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 799
  • 20200425_151035.jpg
    20200425_151035.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,060

BrIan mckenna

Reaction score
That was the first thought after not finding a set screw. I have applied more and pressure to the point that the handle is ruined. While it looks like an end cap, it will not even budge.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, look at the handle cap, you see some white build up around it?
A utility knife will help you removing it.

BrIan mckenna

Reaction score
It does spin off, but nothing underneath. It seems to be a quality brand. It also appears that the knob the handle screws into is threaded. But putting all the pressure i can with 2 pipe wrenches did not budge it. There are no markings as the the maker, but the matching shower head says Santec. After 2 hours i gave up on saving the handle and have bit it pretty good with pipe wrenches and a very thin chisel. Can't find anything on the net that matches.

Brad Johnson

Reaction score
I have this same shower set/handle. It is Santec and I too cannot figure out how to get the handle off so that I can remove the plate (I have a leak in the setup somewhere). There is no plastic cap hiding a set screw and I have tried to pry the cap off the end--no luck.

Any suggestions? I have called a plumber but he is a week out and I'm afraid he'll be as stumped as I am.

Thanks.

Brad Johnson

Reaction score
Doesn't appear to unscrew. I'm wondering if the whole handle unscrews if I turn it clockwise, but can't try without turning off water to the house (because of the leak). I have a call into Santec and will report back if I find a fix. Thanks.

Brad Johnson

Reaction score
Talked to Santec. The button on the end UNSCREWS (counterclockwise). The rep suggested I put on rubber gloves to get more grip. That didn't work. So I put some electrical tape on a pair of channel locks (to avoid damaging the button). It just took a little nudge and I could do the rest by hand.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks