Rectorseal Backflow Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

elgato

Reaction score
I have a Rectorseal Clean Check Back Flow valve that needs replacement. It is basically a tube about 2' long that has the back flow flapper attached. The plastic or rubber flapper has become stiff and causes blockage. The plumbing and base assembly are 2' down under a concrete porch. Normally you would just snap on another flapper and be good for another 10 years. However, Rectorseal has discontinued the part (96981) and they are not available anywhere. They have redesigned the product and the new parts are not compatible. Hard to believe that an aftermarket one is not available.
Any Suggestions?
Thank You
IMG_5059-web.jpg
IMG_5048-web.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I think I have one. I'll check in the morning to see if it matches. You can look me up on Yelp under plumbers Lafayette, CA ...probably many screens scrolling to find me since Yelp pushes paid ads so hard.
Assuming it is 4" size ?

elgato

Reaction score
I think I have one. I'll check in the morning to see if it matches. You can look me up on Yelp under plumbers Lafayette, CA ...probably many screens scrolling to find me since Yelp pushes paid ads so hard.
Assuming it is 4" size ?
Yes, 4"
IMG_5054-web.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Intersting how the clean check works. Ive never seen or used that style but in the past had to get creative with deep backwater valves. Hope You find replacement I have no leads sorry

Breplum

Reaction score

elgato

Reaction score
I checked and my part is EBV 431F. would the 96980 work with effort? https://www.ferguson.com/product/re....-pvc-valve-repair-part-rec96980/7181262.html
worth a try. I am certainly ready to remove my flapper and send for the cost of shipping. Time to trash the assembly that's been sitting around too long now. Or I can cut off the entire lower assembly and you can couple on to it to see if it will fit.
Is the EBV-431F the Rectorseal 97034 that uses the 96980 flapper? That is called the New Style.
They insist that the 96980 will not work with the Old Style which is what I have.
It would be interesting to see if the tube assembly with the 96980 attached would drop into my Old Style T.
Thank You for your help.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Talked to the rep today in Los Angeles at the flow expo show he says parts are available , supposedly he was discussing that with another rep from sacramento area i mentioned it was old style

elgato

Reaction score
Talked to the rep today in Los Angeles at the flow expo show he says parts are available , supposedly he was discussing that with another rep from sacramento area i mentioned it was old style
Rectorseal support insists they are no longer available. They are out of stock at online sites that list them. Any idea how to get the 96981 flapper?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rectorseal support insists they are no longer available. They are out of stock at online sites that list them. Any idea how to get the 96981 flapper?
Nope other than ask a rep maybe they know of a stock at a supplier, I didnt have any of those numbers with me but asked and mentioned you couldnt find an older flapper . and it was a sacramento based rep that knew of acess. so i shared this info.

Breplum

Reaction score
elgato, please see my "conversation" to you in this forum. I'm happy to send the assembly I have for the cost of postage.

elgato

Reaction score
elgato, please see my "conversation" to you in this forum. I'm happy to send the assembly I have for the cost of postage.
Thank you for taking the time to help.
Could you tell me specifically what you have or send a pic?
Thanks again.

Breplum

Reaction score
email or text me. see the conversation. my files are too big right now and this site doesn't allow downsizing on the fly.

adamsbrian74

Reaction score
I have this exact flapper in my backwater valve system that I just found out (after living at this residence for 7 years) that I have. We had a massive rain and my crawlspace flooded for the second time since moving in to this house.

I have no idea I had this system and never maintained it and I guarantee the previous owners did not maintain after installation.
I am needing a new flap for this system. Mine is white, not black (the PCV system).

I don't know what brand of system I have....

I have pics, can you tell me what I have here as I am in the same boat of needing a replacement flapper and can't find what I need exactly.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3967.JPG
    IMG_3967.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3968.JPG
    IMG_3968.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3969.JPG
    IMG_3969.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 16

Breplum

Reaction score
It is Rectorseal, same brand that this thread pertains too. None of us are experts since there seem to be a few variations.
Crawlspace and rain should not be related to the sewer flapper unless there is something amiss with your pipes.
Rainwater must stay out of the sewers (most jurisdictions cannot handle the additional flow that rain brings).
The backwater device is normally only on building drain/sewer pipe...NOT the rain piping which normally goes to the street at a curb cut or other dispersion source.

adamsbrian74

Reaction score
Understood. The neighborhood I live in has issues and the manhole that is next to my house fills and we get this surge. There is a bigger problem in my town for sure.

During these massive rain events the water is finding its way to this pipe and is filling up.

I’m just stumped on what flapper will work on this as I’ve been here 7 years and never knew.

When I search that EVB-431F nothing comes back as purchasable.

Do you still have the one you posted here?
I would take it off your hands to try on mine for sure.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seattle has a combined Sewer and Storm system remaining in most neighborhoods. In 2006 a massive storm flooded the system and several people were killed in their homes drowning in sewage. Backwater valves installation is taken very seriously here as a result.

Unfortunately I don't think any of my old stock is as old as the OP. We stock Rectorseal/Proflo, Sioux Chief and my favorite Mainline (they work as normally open or closed).

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldnt be supprised if the pvc and abs is interchangeable. As I said in a post number 7 I heard there was some availability I have no interest and wont pursue it but feel free to try, no one officially keeps track of old stock but that rep from Sacramento is a lead I provided.
as for combined sewer and storm drain its definately not unheard of just not common in places I work

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks