Reconnect water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Tonyman

Reaction score
I've used this forum several time to find answers but this is my first post. If the answer is already posted somewhere please let me know.

I have a Kenmore water softener that was working fine. I decided to replace it with more expensive whole house system including a softener that didn't work out. Mineral deposits are everywhere and on everything. I want to hook the old one back up but it's been sitting for about a year in my basement with a small amount of salt in it. Is is OK to just hook it up again and fire it up or should I service it somehow before I put it back in use?

Thanks in advance for any answers/advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro. I would add a couple bags of salt, hook it up, and regenerate twice. I would tilt the salt against one side, if you can.

If you can get a manual, see if there are any screens to clean first.

If it doesn't work, I would not invest a lot of further time on it.

What was that expensive unit that did not work?

Tonyman

Reaction score
Thanks for the response and advice. I'll give it a go.

The system I bought to replace the conventional softener was from Aquasana. It's a Softener and Filter and consists of four big blue missile looking containers designed to last 10 years or a million gallons. I was told the softener was better because it didn't use salt but would provide all the same benefits. When I started to see scale on all my fixtures, I called the company and they told me that their system would remove scaling "inside the pipes but not on the fixtures" which is contrary to what I was told when I bought it. I'm keeping the filter but removing the softener. I'll place the traditional Kenmore softener after the filter and then into my plumbing system.

Thanks again.
Tony

Reach4

Reaction score
There are some that thinks there is some merit for the salt free softeners that don't soften. I am not one of them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks