Pump saver settings

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
I’ve got a pump saver plus 233P-1.5 installed between the 240 volt disconnect and the pressure switch then to a 3/4 Hp submersible pump set at 300 feet. About 3 years ago installed
The last two weeks it’s been shutting down the pump with a over current at random times. No real heavy water use.
The code reads check voltage. 240-238v good
Jammed pump impellers The pump is 4yrs old and 300 feet down. How to check without pulling pump. (No sand or grit in the filters)
Do these pump saver devices get flackey after time. No changes were made to any parts of the well system.
Where to start. Thanks

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your "pump saver" is a vfd it's not good for your pump. There are better options to "save water".

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
If your "pump saver" is a vfd it's not good for your pump. There are better options to "save water".
The pump saver is a device to save the pump from running dry for a low yield well.
Never had it trip due to no water
Only over current draw means motor is drawing too much current. But does not say if during start up or while running

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Get a clip around AC amp meter and see how many amps it is drawing. A 3/4HP drawing more than 7 amps should trip an overload. With lots of on/off pump cycles you could already be having motor problems even after only 3 years.

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
Get a clip around AC amp meter and see how many amps it is drawing. A 3/4HP drawing more than 7 amps should trip an overload. With lots of on/off pump cycles you could already be having motor problems even after only 3 years.
I checked the current with pump running and one leg was 7.3A the other was 7.6A. I have a CSV and as the pressure builds up to 70psi the current dropped to 6A. Would you suggest a replacement pump soon or now before it dies completely? Not sure how long it will take to get a pump that I need with the shipping shortages and low stock
Thanks again

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Your pump is fine. I was rounding at 7. Service factor can be as high as like 8.4 amps. The fact that it drops to 6 amps when the Cycle Stop Valve is working means your pump/motor is fine, but may also be causing your problem. Any chance the pumpsaver is shutting off on underload instead of overload? When it drops to 6 that is about the 25% limit most pumpsavers look for to determine the pump is running dry. However, dropping to low amps is normal when using a CSV, makes the motor run cooler, eliminates the cycling, and many other good things. You maybe able to recalibrate the pump saver while using smaller amounts of flow (lower amps). The amps will really drop to about 4-5 when pumping air, you just need something like the Cycle Sensor which can be adjusted accordingly. If you have a really good pump and the amps drop a lot when using a Cycle Stop Valve, very few devices will adjust low enough to work in the difference between low flow and no flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks