Pump cycles on and off with two sprinklers running

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas D Brown

Reaction score
Had new pump installed last summer a 3/4 10 gpm . Along with a few sections of pipe that had holes in them . I just changed pressure switch on tank today 40/60 , it's a 82 gallon galvanized tank with a float has a date stamp of 11/1961 , pump stays running at about 50 psi until I try and start another sprinkler and then it causes pump to cycle from 40 to 60 back and fourth . Any suggestions where to go from here? I would love to run multiple sprinklers. The well depth I believe is 120 to end of submerged if Ipump/pipe if I remember correctly. I took a 5 gallon bucket and can fill it up within 27 seconds so that tells me I'm getting my 10 gpm roughly thanks for any advice

Reach4

Reaction score
pump stays running at about 50 psi until I try and start another sprinkler and then it causes pump to cycle from 40 to 60 back and fourth .
Are you saying--
  1. the first sprinkler is still sprinkling at that point?
  2. or that you switched from sprinkler 1 to sprinkler 2?
If #2, make sprinkler 2 use more water. If #1, I can't think of what might cause that.

Thomas D Brown

Reaction score
Are you saying--
  1. the first sprinkler is still sprinkling at that point?
  2. or that you switched from sprinkler 1 to sprinkler 2?
If #2, make sprinkler 2 use more water. If #1, I can't think of what might cause that.
I can run the first sprinkler fine the pressure stays at around 50 psi if I try to run two sprinklers at the same time that's when my pump starts cycling

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks Worth! Thomas you want the pump to run non stop, no matter if running one sprinkler or multiple. What your saying doesn't make sense because the pump should cycle between 40 and 60, especially with only one sprinkler running. It is probably just draining the tank so slowly you think it is staying at 50 PSI. The way to keep a pump running is to use multiple sprinklers at the same time. You need to use enough sprinklers to max out the flow from the pump, so there is no water left to go into the tank and cause the pump to cycle off. You either need to make sure and run enough sprinklers every time to keep the pump running non stop, or you can add a Cycle Stop Valve so the pump runs non stop even when only 1 sprinkler is on. You can use the CSV with any size tank, even with a galvanized non-bladder type tank. You really only need a 4.5 or 10 gallon tank with the CSV. But with the correct setting it works fine with larger tanks as well.

Thomas D Brown

Reaction score
Thanks Worth! Thomas you want the pump to run non stop, no matter if running one sprinkler or multiple. What your saying doesn't make sense because the pump should cycle between 40 and 60, especially with only one sprinkler running. It is probably just draining the tank so slowly you think it is staying at 50 PSI. The way to keep a pump running is to use multiple sprinklers at the same time. You need to use enough sprinklers to max out the flow from the pump, so there is no water left to go into the tank and cause the pump to cycle off. You either need to make sure and run enough sprinklers every time to keep the pump running non stop, or you can add a Cycle Stop Valve so the pump runs non stop even when only 1 sprinkler is on. You can use the CSV with any size tank, even with a galvanized non-bladder type tank. You really only need a 4.5 or 10 gallon tank with the CSV. But with the correct setting it works fine with larger tanks as well.
Thanks valve man and everyone who has helped out. Sounds like I need a CSV . When I had one sprinkler going the guage would hold at 50 psi as soon as I turn the second sprinkler on I could watch the guage cycle back and fourth from 40 to 60 repeatedly about 19 seconds from 60 back to 40 . How would you install this valve with my current setup could I just put it on inlet line before my inlet hits the tank ? Or would I just be better off buying new tank with CSV ? Thanks

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Thomas, what is the make and model of your pump?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
When I had one sprinkler going the guage would hold at 50 psi

This is not really possible. The pressure should be dropping more slowly than when running multiple sprinklers, but it should still be dropping to 40 then going back up to 60 and shutting off when running only one sprinkler?

Do you have iron or sulfur in the water in your area? If so, getting rid of the old air over water type tank may not be wise. Switching to a bladder style tank can cause a rotten egg smell to come back that your air over water tank is aerating away.

If you do not have iron or sulfur, switching to a bladder tank is fine. However, you will need to find out if you have a bleeder orifice system about 5' down the well, and most likely have to plug it.

The CSV will work with either type system. However, the bleeder is still the issue. The CSV will work with a brass bleeder, but will build enough back pressure to pop a rubber bleeder out, which isn't good. Even if you have a brass bleeder it would be best to move it down another 5' or so. The CSV eliminates a lot of cycles, and the bleeder only works when the pump cycles. So, moving the bleeder down will double the amount of air injected in the tank when the pump does cycle.

The easiest thing for you to do is always use enough sprinklers to keep the pump from being able to shut off. That is usually hard to do, which is where a CSV comes into play, as it will keep the pump running no matter the number of sprinklers.

Thomas D Brown

Reaction score
This is not really possible. The pressure should be dropping more slowly than when running multiple sprinklers, but it should still be dropping to 40 then going back up to 60 and shutting off when running only one sprinkler?

Do you have iron or sulfur in the water in your area? If so, getting rid of the old air over water type tank may not be wise. Switching to a bladder style tank can cause a rotten egg smell to come back that your air over water tank is aerating away.

If you do not have iron or sulfur, switching to a bladder tank is fine. However, you will need to find out if you have a bleeder orifice system about 5' down the well, and most likely have to plug it.

The CSV will work with either type system. However, the bleeder is still the issue. The CSV will work with a brass bleeder, but will build enough back pressure to pop a rubber bleeder out, which isn't good. Even if you have a brass bleeder it would be best to move it down another 5' or so. The CSV eliminates a lot of cycles, and the bleeder only works when the pump cycles. So, moving the bleeder down will double the amount of air injected in the tank when the pump does cycle.

The easiest thing for you to do is always use enough sprinklers to keep the pump from being able to shut off. That is usually hard to do, which is where a CSV comes into play, as it will keep the pump running no matter the number of sprinklers.
We do get iron build up but no sulfur ,I know it is backwards to what it should be doing my dad's place has a 3/4 pump and he has to run four sprinklers to keep his pump on ,that's why I posted here it's weird maybe just time for a new tank. it is old . I do like the idea of the csv valve would the iron be hard on it ? I do have a bleeder valve at pump is have to ask the pump guy how far down it is

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
How far down is not as important as brass or rubber? Brass is fine with a CSV. Tank would have nothing to do with the pressure staying at 50 with only one sprinkler. Are you sure the pump is even on when it is staying at 50?

Thomas D Brown

Reaction score
How far down is not as important as brass or rubber? Brass is fine with a CSV. Tank would have nothing to do with the pressure staying at 50 with only one sprinkler. Are you sure the pump is even on when it is staying at 50?
Okay I'll ask my pump guy if it's rubber or brass ,I assume the pump was on it held on 50 for a couple hours with one sprinkler on . I should have checked amps at pressure switch to see for sure

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Well OK then. I really can't recommend a way to keep it from cycling at high flow until we figure out why it is not cycling at low flow? It should be the other way around. Any control box for the pump other than the 40/60 switch?

Thomas D Brown

Reaction score
My pump guy said to try turning 3 sprinklers on and see if that fixes it.
Well OK then. I really can't recommend a way to keep it from cycling at high flow until we figure out why it is not cycling at low flow? It should be the other way around. Any control box for the pump other than the 40/60 switch?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
With the one non cycling situation, could it be the pump is dragging down and it's RPM is going down. Interesting to put a clamp meter on one of the power leads and look at the current readings. As a motor slows down from a drag, the current should increase.

Do any submersible pumps have a built in bypass to alleviate too much back pressure or a waste gate to dump the water as to not burn out the pump motor?

With this size well pump, you could probably could irrigate your entire yard. Depending on your size and type of sprinkler you can easily run 8-12 sprinkler at one time.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do any submersible pumps have a built in bypass to alleviate too much back pressure or a waste gate to dump the water as to not burn out the pump motor?
People often install a pressure relief valve up top to let water out at maybe 75 psi. Some are adjustable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks