Propane Line Size

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumbPlumb

Reaction score
Hello,

I have two dryer machines that need propane run to them. The dryer cutsheet inlet recommended pressure is 11"W.C. It does say Max is 13"WC and Min is 8" WC. Can I use the below chart from code to size my PE line? It says inlet pressure 11 WC but the pressure drop is 0.5WC. Does that mean that I get 10.5" WC with pressure drop or is it based on 11" WC which includes the pressure drop in that number. I'm running about 50' of piping to the laundry. Pretty much mostly straight pipe with a few fittings. I have over-sized the line a bit to help the pressure drop.

Is it okay to use that chart and provide a second stage regulator with outlet pressure 11"WC or do I have to get say a 12"WC(if they make them) to allow for pressure drop so at inlet of dryer I get 11"WC? Thanks in advance for any help.

1666829240191.png

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro. I think you can plan on a dryer using 25000 Btu/hour. It looks to me that 50 ft of 1/2 inch can supply 142 Btu/hr, and only lose 0.5 wc during the trip. For 25000, btu, I think it would lose around 0.08 wc.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
It says inlet pressure 11 WC but the pressure drop is 0.5WC. Does that mean that I get 10.5" WC with pressure drop
Yes.

Is it okay to use that chart and provide a second stage regulator with outlet pressure 11"WC
If you use the chart in the OP, it is for runs after the regulator that has outlet pressure 11" WC.

If you have a regulator at the appliance, I'm not familiar with that design procedure. But I think the regulator basically means you can have a comparatively large pressure drop upstream and still get 11" WC at the regulator outlet. So then you just need a pressure drop chart for the regulator itself (probably very low), and then use the chart in the OP for any piping after the regulator.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks