Propane gas line

Users who are viewing this thread

Frozen23

Reaction score
My supplier sent 150 ft 3/4'' yellow gas pipe instead of 1''. I didn't check and the line was buried.
Two options as I see it:
- to replace the line which costs $600 with excavation and materials
- to figure out two regulators: one, high pressure, from the propane tank to the riser, another from the riser to the equipment.
I need 250,000 Btuhs max, the 3/4'' at 150 ft can push 175,000 at 11 w.i.c.
The question is the second path an optimal solution?
For how much would I need to increase inlet pressure from the tank to the riser?

Fitter30

Reaction score
What is the brand of csst pipe ? Riser inside or out? Tank to riser length? If where u r can run 2 lb into the building then inside another reg 2lb to 11". With the 2lb reg off the vent run a 3/4" line or larger outside.

Frozen23

Reaction score
What is the brand of csst pipe ? Riser inside or out? Tank to riser length? If where u r can run 2 lb into the building then inside another reg 2lb to 11". With the 2lb reg off the vent run a 3/4" line or larger outside.
The underground 3/4'' pipe is yellow pvc with a Con-Stab outside riser. 125 psi rated. Tank to riser is 150 ft.

Fitter30

Reaction score
10 lb reg at tank loses 7 lbs. Talk with a reg company for a correct 2nd stage reg and should be a lockup type. Need more or less pressure can always change the spring if there not enough adjustment.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
10 lb reg at tank loses 7 lbs. Talk with a reg company for a correct 2nd stage reg and should be a lockup type. Need more or less pressure can always change the spring if there not enough adjustment.
You can't always change the spring. There's a limit to that.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
My supplier sent 150 ft 3/4'' yellow gas pipe instead of 1''. I didn't check and the line was buried.
Two options as I see it:
- to replace the line which costs $600 with excavation and materials
- to figure out two regulators: one, high pressure, from the propane tank to the riser, another from the riser to the equipment.
I need 250,000 Btuhs max, the 3/4'' at 150 ft can push 175,000 at 11 w.i.c.
The question is the second path an optimal solution?
For how much would I need to increase inlet pressure from the tank to the riser?
Are you talking about running pipe from your second stage regulator to your equipment? If so it can run at 2psi and give you over a million btu's per hour. So you'd just need a 2psi to 7" wc regulator at your equipment.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Are you talking about running pipe from your second stage regulator to your equipment? If so it can run at 2psi and give you over a million btu's per hour. So you'd just need a 2psi to 7" wc regulator at your equipment.
Lp runs at 11". In some states you can run 2 lbs in a building depends on what codes if any do they use. Post 3 he's using Con Stab to run a riser on the out side the building with is a plastic fitting. Don't think this is a house because he's running a riser on the outside a building. Seems very odd to place a lp tank 150' from any building that only needs 250k btu.

Last edited:

Frozen23

Reaction score
Outside riser to 200K Btus propane water heater is 15 ft and 30 ft to 50K dual oven range, so I am not worried about these distances. Never dealt with propane other than regular installation, so wasn't sure how much pressure do I need to to push 250,000 Btus through 150 ft of 3/4'' pvc pipe. If 2 psi is enough to push the required Btus from high pressure regulator to low, that resolves the issue
Lp runs at 11". In some states you can run 2 lbs in a building depends on what codes if any do they use. Post 3 he's using Con Stab to run a riser on the out side the building with is a plastic fitting. Don't think this is a house because he's running a riser on the outside a building. Seems very odd to place a lp tank 150' from any building that only needs 250k btu.
It's a house. The above ground tank is moved that far for aesthetic purposes.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Outside riser to 200K Btus propane water heater is 15 ft and 30 ft to 50K dual oven range, so I am not worried about these distances. Never dealt with propane other than regular installation, so wasn't sure how much pressure do I need to to push 250,000 Btus through 150 ft of 3/4'' pvc pipe. If 2 psi is enough to push the required Btus from high pressure regulator to low, that resolves the issue

It's a house. The above ground tank is moved that far for aesthetic purposes.
Then use 1st stage reg to the house, second stage at the house. If from second stage have 50' with 3/4" for 255,000 btu. Have you figured in any fitting pressure drop in feet?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks