Plumbing on a new bathroom. Vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

firepilot

Reaction score
Hello,

I am working on a bathroom remodel. Adding a entire new bath one hall over from the old tiny bath.

The far end of my run is a shower drain. It is 2' ABS and has a 1 1/2 vent less than 4 feet down stream going up to the attic where it will tie into the main stack.

The next fixture is the water closet in 3" pipe and the 2" line from the shower drops into it with a wye. How far from the Water closet can I go before the vent goes in? I need to go about 6 feet before I add the vent and then the vent will need to go horizontal about 4 feet before I get to the 2x6 wall from the old bath to go vertical.

I have the perfect spot to wet vent the water closet within about 4 feet of the flange and tie it into a lavatory but its only a 2x4 wall and it is bearing. I would need to go through a double top plate to make that work.

The house is older and the 2x4's are old dimensional lumber it is 1 3/4 by 3 1/2. I feel like just drilling that as it would save a bunch of work but I know it isn't to code.

Thanks for any insight or advice.

Phil

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a little hard without a diagram to advise.
The top plates can be drilled though. We often do that.

wet_vent_upc_3_4_bath.jpg

wet_vent_upc_master.jpg

wet_vent_upc_back_to_back.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You were doing good until you got to the back to back bathrooms. I would NEVER install the toilets that way, but if I did, I would connect them to a double Y at least, and the tub drains would connect to the vertical vent with a back to back fixture fitting.

firepilot

Reaction score
Thanks Terry,

Here is a diagram of what I am doing. I thought through the endless hours I have spent on here and other places that I had to have an individual vent for each fixture. This is the way I was planning the DWV.

Anyway my biggest issue is whether or not to put a 2"vent which is required by our code which is UPC based for the toilet through my 2x4 top plate. I do have a permit pulled and don't want to irk the framing guy. The other 1 1/2 vents I can do easy and keep the 60 percent rule. Where I want to put the pipe is in a bearing wall. It is a 14' long wall if that matters.

I included a couple of pictures. Looking at the far end is the shower. I have a 1 1/2 vent going through the new framed wall and into the attic. On the right is the toilet flange and immediately to its right between the tub will be the vanity.

Looking trough the doorway on the left side in the corner is the other vanity.

Anyway and advice is always helpful.

Thank you

Phil

Attachments

• IMG_2135.jpg
    IMG_2135.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_2126.jpg
    IMG_2126.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_2127.jpg
    IMG_2127.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 411

firepilot

Reaction score
I spoke with the framing inspector who said just drill the top plate. I spoke with the plumbing inspector who actually came out to the house and looked it over and said I was on the right track.

He wants me to wet vent the lav and the toilet using a 2" vent required for the toilet. My distance from the flange to the 2" vent is just over 3'. The shower upstream from this has its own 1 1/2 inch vent and then the tub which is just down stream requires its own 1 1/2 inch vent.

Now to finish the run and tie it all in to the 4" stack this weekend. He suggested (and I agree) that I cut the iron pipe out and replace it with ABS from the new connection back through the roof. I have a diamond blade for the sawzall and will pickup the snapper from the rental yard this evening.

Tomorrow to demo the existing bathroom and get the old cast iron more exposed.

He wants to come back after I have the supply lines in to visually check the pressure test on the DWV and supply and he explained how to do that and what he wants to see.

Very helpful guy and that was before we figured out he was the uncle of my daughters best friend.

The are some advantages to a small town. I tell people I went and pulled the permits for this job and they wonder why. So far on this job and my last job which was a big kitchen remodel in which we removed a bearing wall and replaced with a large beam they were very accommodating for the DIY guy.

I hope to have it all in and ready for framing, electrical and plumbing rough inspections after the weekend.

Phil

Last edited:

firepilot

Reaction score
Well back again. Had the plumbing all inspect this am. He came yesterday and took a look and I had 2 vents backwards. The inspector pointed that out and gave me a couple of options.

I got it straightened out last night and he came back this am for the pressure test. We used air to test and everything worked out right. I had several very small leaks and they were in the testing side of things. I had a bit of a hard time getting the test ball to seal, and a little white cap glued into the pipe for testing was leaking around the part that you knock out. I replaced with a glue on cap. The last tiny leak was in the connections from ABS pipe to the pressure gauge. With soapy water it would just make some little bubbles. I lost about 1/4 psi in the 15 min check and because we could see the tiny bubbles it was making he was ok with that.

Thanks for the great forum and all the help. On to sheetrock, paint, and floor tiling.

Phil

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks