Plumbing allowed behind electrical panel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Slugboy6000

Reaction score
Can plumbing run through the studs behind a surface mounted electrical panel?
I've been reading up on the required unobstructed space in front of, above and below a panel. If my surface mount panel sits at shoulder height, can I run copper pipe through the studs closer to the floor? (I'm assuming spray shielding or blocking is a good idea)

-Thanks-

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Ask your local inspector as codes vary from one location to another

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can plumbing run through the studs behind a surface mounted electrical panel?
The National Electrical Code in the US would allow that, but you'll have to check the Canadian Electrical Code.

[For the NEC, the volume directly above and below the footprint of the panel is reserved for electrical wiring. And the volume directly in front of the panel is reserved for worker safety when working on the panel.]

Cheers, Wayne

Slugboy6000

Reaction score
The National Electrical Code in the US would allow that, but you'll have to check the Canadian Electrical Code.

[For the NEC, the volume directly above and below the footprint of the panel is reserved for electrical wiring. And the volume directly in front of the panel is reserved for worker safety when working on the panel.]

Cheers, Wayne

Ok, I'll look into it - thanks guys

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks