Plumber Snaking every 2 years

Users who are viewing this thread

JackieofTrades

Reaction score
Thanks for such a great forum. Have been reading for a long time b4 deciding to ask. TIA for those willing to help others. Special place in heaven for y'all.

I am living in a strata complex where some things are my responsibility and others are Strata's. For the past 6 yrs or so I have been having to call in a plumber to snake my kitchen waste drain about every 2 years or so which I've been covering up til now. I''m wondering if something else is going on that I can finally fix rather than maintain like this!

I have a double kitchen sink with top of the line dishwasher that uses hot water with an internal heater so the dishes are sanitized. Normally everything drains properly, no sounds or smells. We do not pour grease, art supplies or other materials not associated with foods or food prep down the drain - ever.
The sink/DW drains to a main clean out at the very base of my cabinet and then heads through or under the concrete slab that is our foundations here. I did the kitchen remodel with DW install myself replacing all plumbing exactly as original up to the cleanout but the problem started b4 my reno and continues after. So I don't think that reasons out as a factor...

Every 20-26 months or so the sinks suddenly backup beyond 15 feet passed the cleanout (the length of my home snake) Plunging, chemicals, hot water etc methods to clear the clog/slow down all fail until we finally call in a pro.

Each time they do clean the drain but there is never anything in it in terms of a clog or other reason for a blockage let alone one with multiple encores every few years. The plumbers (2 different ones last 3 calls) do get some sludgey matter out but that's it, never hair, food or other material. This last time I compalined to my strata board but there is some foggy area about at which point my underground waste is strata maintenance or strictly owner's problem. At some point, (according to some really really old strata diagrams) my main drain connects to my neighbours (not able to find out if they have any problems) and then to the MASTER pipe that services the whole complex out and to the city connection. I will likely have to spend on lawyers fees at this point since not only can I not tell for 100% that it's my drain or my cause for the 'blockage' and at what distance but will for sure have to take them to court to prove that if the issue is at the Master pipe (or where my main leaves the confines of my physical unit) and not STILL my cost since it appears to potentially be a pipe only used by my unit. (I know that there is Limited common property that strata still has to maintain at their cost out of my monthly fees like yard maintenance but the people have SO little knowledge that they claim everything is owner's prob until proven otherwise.)

So if there is anyway I can finally diagnose what this recurring problem is BEFORE the next time I lose my whole kitchen/water use at the same time I may have to hire a different professional to rep me...I'm willing to try to fix it on my own...

Sorry for the saga, any suggestions appreciated. Also, any strategies of what to do (mapping, tests etc) the next time it backs up to help build a case) is also welcome. Cheers all,

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For a kitchen line, I like to use something like Bio-Clean. It helps with the sludge buildup that kitchens get. It's safe to use and keeps the pipes clean.

Reach4

Reaction score
When you get the kitchen sink not draining, do you get any backup into a shower or tub?

When you get the not-draining-normally, how long before a full sink drains? And then, if you wait for 8 hours, how much water can you put in fairly quickly and not have it back up? The theory here is that the leaky clog passes water slowly. By knowing how much water you can add quickly, that could be used to estimate the pipe volume before the clog, which then allows estimating the distance.

It could be that your little snake just pokes a hole in the stuff, and it takes the plumber's bigger tool to get most of the material cleared.

What is a "strata"? Apartment building, townhouse, duplex?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks