Kitchen sink drain pipe slip-joint slips off

Users who are viewing this thread

diginside

Reaction score
I bought this "1-1/2 in. White Plastic Slip-Joint Sink Drain Center Outlet Waste" and installed in my remodeled kitchen less than a year ago. The rubber washer along with the slip-joint I circled in the attached photo have "slipped off" multiple times, wrecking small havoc obviously. I have tried to look for tighter washers ever since the first incident, at no avail. Should I redo this whole drain thing or is there a better product or an easy solution out there? Thanks in advance.
IMG_4206.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We use the blue or orange colored beveled silicone slip joint washers. The whitish poly washers don't grab as well.
The white tailpiece tube should be fully long enough to be gripped by the washer.
Your dishwasher drain hose is a nice way to have backup sewage go into the DW. A dishwasher airgap is the sanitary solution.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The soft blue washers are great at gripping and sealing . Dishwasher concern is that its connected on wrong side of a p trap and a high loop can be acceptable in Georgia and other IPC plumbing code areas no air gap required agree Air gap is good idea .

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The soft blue washers are great at gripping and sealing . Dishwasher concern is that its connected on wrong side of a p trap and a high loop can be acceptable in Georgia and other IPC plumbing code areas no air gap required agree Air gap is good idea .
You might find most do know what a high loop is for a dishwasher when installing one.

Reach4

Reaction score
You might find most do know what a high loop is for a dishwasher when installing one.
But do they know about the needing-a-trap thing?

Somebody went to a lot of work in setting those pipes up, and somehow missed having a trap for the DW.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take it all out and redo it. The tee horizontal is bad. Dishwasher is wrong.

diginside

Reaction score
Take it all out and redo it. The tee horizontal is bad. Dishwasher is wrong.
We use the blue or orange colored beveled silicone slip joint washers. The whitish poly washers don't grab as well.
The white tailpiece tube should be fully long enough to be gripped by the washer.
Your dishwasher drain hose is a nice way to have backup sewage go into the DW. A dishwasher airgap is the sanitary solution.
Thank you all for your responses. I am sorry I seem to have ignored you all. Actually it's because I did not set up notifications for my posting. I'll definitely look for the blue washer (I have red in there). I already spent time trying to find green ones when I read elsewhere someone recommended it. I will also run a high loop for the dishwasher drain hose. @John, I thought about redoing the whole thing but I don't really know how to fix the tee horizontal. I am posting another close-up photo here. Background: the kitchen contractor finished other works but the plumbing. To please my wife so she can start cooking, I came up with this quick and dirty (indeed) solution. Any further advices are appreciated.

IMG_4225.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those slip washers evedently come in other colors but the idea is they are soft and grip the pipe. if its a soft rubbery type washer with the bevel thats good

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks