please help,pump on/off every 5 minutes

Users who are viewing this thread

brad hinkelman

Reaction score
earlier this year,a friend put in new pump,check valve,and bladder tank,so items are new...20/40 switch ...worked ok untill now, anyway last night pump was going on/off every 10 seconds without water on in house.so i turned off. when i got home from work today i looked at and was coming on at 35 off at 40 so ajusted presure swich so was 20/40,blader tank says 38,after adjusting now is at 5-6 minutes and the water presure gauge stays at 40 for 5 minutes then suddenly falls off and pump comes on(again no water on)...checked for house leaks and see none...no air in lines when had off all day, could my new check valve be bad? i turned off the valve on house side as psi started to drop and can stop the presure from dropping but even though it says like 36 as soon as i turn valve on drops to 20 immediatly and pump comes on so seems like still draining...any help please....thanks ,,also what happens when to much or to little air in bladder tank?

Last edited:
R

Rancher

.was coming on at 35 off at 40 so ajusted presure swich so was 20/40,blader tank says 38,after adjusting now is at 5-6 minutes and the water presure gauge stays at 40 for 5 minutes then suddenly falls off and pump comes on(again no water on)
Pressure switches seldom go out of adjustment, especially that much. So first change out the pressure gauge, and clean out the tubing to the main line. Bladder tank says 38? Did you drain the water out of it when you measured it, because the bladder tank pressure with water in it, and the pressure gauge should be the same, or close.

Rancher

brad hinkelman

Reaction score
update

ok now went from holding presure 4-5 minutes to 45 minutes...drained tank and set to 18lbs...has to be check valve???? any thoughts please