Pex repipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Golfnut379

Reaction score
I am a DIYer and am about to repipe my manufactured home from cpvc to pex. I just read that I could lose considerable water pressure. Now I am rethinking if I should use pex or not. Can you give me an idea if I should use pex or not?

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
There is a smaller ID on PEX compared to CPVC (0.485" to 0.546" for 1/2" pipe), but the connection system also affects flow rate. If PEX is crimped on the fittings, there is a further reduction of flow. Expanding the PEX on F1960 fittings eliminates that restriction at least.

Most people don't see a big flow rate drop with expansion (F1960) PEX compared to copper or CPVC. You can always upsize the tubing if flow a concern, but the downside is that hot water takes longer to reach fixtures with larger ID pipe.

John

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pex should be sized based on your incoming pressure, length of run to furthest fixture, and height to highest fixture. Once you have that info you can start to size the segments properly.

You shouldn't notice a lot of difference in flow unless your working with pressure that is on the low side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks