Pam's Foreclosed Palace :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
More Photos

More Photos...sorry if huge... Picture says a 1000 words.

Like my light fixture? The shiny, damp looking portions I sprayed w/ Break Away but I may just use a sawzall.

P1010008.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010005.jpg

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Sweet Mother of God

Its all work, and work does not bother me

but your pictures are takeing
my breath away.....

you should lay a strong foundation here before you
start to really pretty things up

sometimes it is just best to start all over
when it comes to all that galvinized
water pipeing....

especially when it comes to pipes that could
spring a pin hole leak at any time in a finished ceiling.....

Respectfully, I suggest that you

start from the basement and re-run those waterlines
if you plan on saying in this "palace" for any
length of time.....or suffer the consequences.

I really like that "duct tape repair" on the end of that drain line.
..in the last pic......

they really should have used elecrtical tape, it would

have looked much, much , more professional....anthough tests

are not conclusive yet as to wether duct tape has a longer life

than electrical tape.......

perhaps the duct tape is now the better choice of

professionals.......

I suppose that Duct Tape covers a much
wider radius than good old electrical tape

how things change and improve over time....LOL

also would you explain how you uploaded all these pics....

i cant get anything to upload to this site too complicated for me.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
ditto

Even as just a DIYer, I couldn't agree more with MPMark. There come times when it's a whole lot easier in the long run to rip out the old and start fresh from the bottom up, and I think now is one of those times. On the bright side, the hardest part is drilling all the holes, and that's already done :D .

Good luck...

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
run it out of pex

actually she could save herself tons of time

and simply leave all that crap inside the walls....

just run some new 1/2 wirsbo pex to all the fixtures

separately down to the basement and tie it all

in down there...

and would not have to drill anything....

now the driain line is another issue....

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
Thank You

Thank you gentleman for your replies!

Er,..I slapped that duct tape on last night after I cut out the first of many sections to come. I have a photo that I'll add that shows why I couldn't get a snake down that lav sink. The duct tape is very temporarily...it was dripping.

This palace is still a construction site. Most of the pipes have been or are still dry. I just got the pump running after many months. I totally demo'd a mstr bath so those pipes are just capped off.

Ok, so w/ all this galvanized pipe, I am planning on demo'ing and replace w/ plastic pvc/cpvc. The basement is copper, probably replaced galvanized many years before since it was accessible. Now i'll do in the wall/floor stuff as current owner. I am hoping the cast iron soil/vent runs (the big ones) are ok to leave. They look heavy. :eek:

Foundation?? Do you mean beef up the wood structure? Sister on some 2X lumber? There is a 1/4" piece of flat iron that was sistered onto the severly cutout joist under tub for that damn drum trap when house was built. Maybe doesn't show in my photos.

Or by foundation, do you mean start over w/ all piping? Again, I think what you see is the bulk of the galvanized piping still left in this house. The master bath I am re-running cuz I wanna run it surface mount on the wall/ceiling. (Not PVC, but some attractive pipe for exposed work. Might have to concur sweating for that). Why? Cause the dirt & unheated crawlspace that it is currently running thru is creepy and very inaccessible. I'll leave the mstr bath soil & vent alone, on far outside wall. (Maybe I can make that accessible from the outside, on back of house. Anyway, that is another battle for another day).

I copy link and paste into this post, like below. When I post, first it is words & #'s but after post is posted, then it becomes a visual photo. Or, another option is to just post a different style link and then people click on it and then they see photo.

Sorry if that was confusing but I can't remember some of the exact terms. I'll do it now for the unsnakeable drain pipe and it will refresh my memory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
In case you didn't click on that clickable link above. Hey, why couldn't I get a snake thru it? :D

P1010002-1.jpg

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
Finished w/ Rough 2nd Floor Bath (After Photos)

Finished w/ Rough 2nd Floor Bath...

I used CPVC/PVC cause I don't trust my sweating, among other reasons and comfortable w/ solvent welding. I just read alot of opinions about cpvc vs copper vs pex. Ford vs Chevy as someone said. Well, I am Ford right now). :D Maybe I'll try PEX in future cause I currently have a totally demo'd mstr bath to do.

I still need to add some supports. I turned on water yesterday and all dry. Glad I didn't miss a fitting somewhere w/ glue. I used a new glue, CPVC-1, bright yellow snot looking stuff. I was hesitant cause no primer needed but my local supply house recommended it. The color grew on me.

That gal steel crap was a drag to demo....tight to wood, 80 yrs in place, corroded. I ran mostly 3/4" and no water hammer/arrestor things. (I had read may not be needed and potential health hazard?). I have well water and don't remember if area tested acid or alkaline side. It is rusty and hard w/ iron. Is that aggressive?

I do have a small leak but not mine! This foreclosed palace was empty and no heat for a winter so maybe that is why the cheap lav faucet is leaking w/in the body. I'll be replacing it soon but was hoping to use it for awhile. Think it is repairable for short term? Cause I first have to decide on vanity, sink, etc. This bath is small so I am looking for a "diminutive" sink & vanity...meaning, friggin tiny. Like 12" deep vanity, small sink (maybe bar) w/ a corner mounted faucet???

Hope I did alright. I haven't ran plumbing pipe for some years and didn't fully brush up on the subject.

P1010076.jpg

P1010075.jpg

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've been following along from time to time.... one thing I can really appreciate about the pictures... reminds me alot of the remodels I did on my mom's rental properties (slum lord! upgraded to landlord!)... it really reminds me of the work that used to be involved in plumbing a house. I'd cry if I had to do a whole house in galvanized and cast iron. I barely will take on a job with copper! We must really appreciate our plastics manufacturers.... Looks like a fairly professional job... good work!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks