Outdoor fixture repair

Users who are viewing this thread

runderwo

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm using a MIP fixture now, not a flare. I guess that's a good thing since the flare wouldn't have sealed to the copper fitting.

runderwo

Reaction score
I understand now why I was having so much trouble getting the fixture into the copper threads, and why the old fixture had a damaged body. The hole in the interior appears to be lined up but it really isn't. It is offset about 1/2 inch from where it should be. I guess whoever installed the old fixture just beat on it till it fit... or it could be from settling of the exterior wall. Now I get to figure out how to either enlarge that hole in the stud, or remove more brick.

Last edited:

runderwo

Reaction score
I knocked more brick out with a chisel. Everyhthing went together easy, and no leaks. Stick a fork in it!! :cool:

Now for a nice, hot shower....

Who wants to offer an estimate on a plumber's time for this job? Broken pipe, drywall removal, working behind toilet, tee has to be replaced, water drips, and brick knocking out. You could also include remortaring around the outside, drywall repair and cleaning... and parts charge. The reason I want to know is because my gf has been complaining at my to just call a plumber since the beginning. But it didn't seem like that bad of a job for a complete novice... at first... and then I got in over my head... and finished it anyway thanks to you guys.

Lesson learned, don't go twisting on sillcocks unless you're ready to do all this and maybe more!!

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
frenchie said:
I was hoping Grumpy would drop in on this thread...

:)

Something about your description of the "evil plan" has me confused. I can't get a mental image... sounds over-complicated, though.

Ya losted me on dat one...that a reference to some "grumpy" humor post that may have gone to "thread heaven"?
As far as lowest point...I do that all the time...got caught up in explaining something and forget to check if the basics were covered, ironically I just did a small remodel/repipe where I had to open a draw-off on the boiler to sweat ball valves on...week later I came back to replace the old gate valve with an Apollo w/the local DPW to crank the curb key for me.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Grumpy - you misunderstood - I wasn't talking to you, I was talking about you.

The "evil plan" was in reference to Runderwo's earlier post:

runderwo said:
So, now my evil plan to hook this thing up to copper is to use a brass union. I screw the 1/2" copper threads with a short piece of copper pipe onto the sillcock. I then sweat that pipe into the male side of a brass union. I sweat the female side (the side with the short copper coupler) onto a pipe that then goes to the tee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks