Order of pump, pressure tank, flologic, sediment filter, softener, carbon, UV?

Users who are viewing this thread

danielhira

Reaction score
Hello,

I am on well water where the well pump stores water in a 10kgal tank, which is gravity fed to the house. The configuration inside the house is:
main -> check valve -> flologic -> sediment filter -> carbon filter -> softener -> UV -> booster pump -> pressure tank -> house

The issue is that if there is a leak, it will drain water from the pressure tank and the flologic will only cut water once the booster pump kicks on, as opposed to cutting water immediately. Flologic customer service recommended:
main -> check valve -> booster pump -> pressure tank -> flologic -> sediment filter -> carbon filter -> softener -> UV -> house

I found this post which seems to recommend the rearrangement, but I recently had a local plumber tell me _not_ to do what flologic recommended because it would significantly reduce flow to the house. Who should I trust?

Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Had to look it up. Didn't know what flologic was. Still don't as there info on how it works is lacking. But it looks like a flow sensor that shuts a valve when there is a leak. Ii don't know how it will know a leak from a kid dribbling water to wash a toothbrush? But I don't see how it can reduce flow to the house unless the valve closes. Shouldn't matter where in the line it is, as it will sense flow in any of those locations.

danielhira

Reaction score
Sorry for the ambiguity, yes flologic is a remotely-controlled motorized ball valve. It has a control panel and different modes (home, away, bypass) which apply different rules to determine if there is a leak, and then can automatically shut off.

You’re right that will be able to sense a leak at any point in the system, but I think the issue is the amount of time it takes to react. Please correct me if I am wrong, but if the pressure tank is after the flologic, then when a leak occurs the pressure tank will first drain its water until it hits the booster pump's cut in pressure. Then when the pump kicks on, it will draw water through the flologic, and at this point the water would be shut off. Or even if the flologic detected the leak the instant it started and shut off the supply, the pressure tank would still drain through the leak until it was empty.

Alternatively, if the pressure tank and pump are before the flologic, then when a leak occurs the flologic would sense it and shut off the water which would immediately stop the leak.

Here is a picture in case it helps (note that the resin tank is physically to the left of the carbon filter, but the water flows through the carbon filter first)
house_water_flow.jpg

So then my concern with moving the pump and tank to be prior to everything else in the system is -- would I still get good pressure and flow through faucets in the house if all water used has to travel through all of these devices as opposed to already sitting in the pressure tank?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't think you want the pressure tank after the flow logic thing. Yes you are going to lose some pressure through all those devices, but that is the reason they can't be prior to the pressure tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks