Small pressure tank frozen

Users who are viewing this thread

RussC

Reaction score
I purchased a place and the house is on a spring and the pump cycles every 3 to 4 seconds the pressure tank is next to it and apparently froze and needs replacing. The question is I have a water shed at the house with the water filter in it. Can I put a new tank there instead of the spring house. I’m about 60’ from the spring house with a grade height about 4’. The pressure switch setting is around 28 psi.
Any suggestions or recommendations on tank size and location

Fitter30

Reaction score
It's 67° in bybee it's not frozen. Opposite the piping end of the tank is a plastic cover that unscrews looks like a tire valve. Have hand tire pump and a gauge 0-50 lb. There is a air charge should be set at 28 lbs to match water pressure , sure the gauge is bad you would have 24 lb maybe in the house. if water comes out of the tank the tank needs to replaced. Pump cycling like yours will burn it up and the pressure switch. Turn the pump off till someone needs water then shut it off till the gauge and tank are checked out.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is rare for freezing to be the cause of a tank failure. Nearly every tank failure is caused by the pump cycling on and off too much. Once the regular cycling destroys the tank diaphragm, the pump starts rapid cycling as it is doing now, and the pump will not last long doing this. You really cannot install a large enough pressure tank to stop the cycling. Biggert tank just slows down the cycling. You can solve all the problems caused by cycling by using a Cycle Stop Valve. With a CSV you can replace the tank with a small 4.5 gallon size tank, as the CSV is what eliminates the cycling, so you don't need much of a tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks