Older Rain Soft system leaking and using a lot of salt, lots of brine leaving system

Users who are viewing this thread

Kuleinc

Reaction score
I have an older rain soft system, I have discovered that it sometimes leaks from the control head. It also seems to be draining a LOT of salty water. I also go through salt at an alarming rate. The salt tank always seems to be full of water, and I dont ever rememeber seeing water in it before. Is it possible to just replace the head with a more modern system? We are on a well and the current head has a meter so it only regenerates on demand. I need to get the hardness number but I may need a bigger media tank, the only reason I consider reusing it is because the media was replaced a couple years ago when it was contaminated from the well water sediment. The system now has a sediment filter first. then charcoal, then softner.

Our water hardness is 443-599

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Dunno Rain Soft, but the tech in me says "fix known problems first" and it's likely your leak owes to a worn gasket or two.

Maybe if you fix that/those the brine draw issue will be fixed also.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
In 1982 I had a Rain Soft softener. This model had a small motors, I think on a cam, that pushed down on a valve with several O-rings. It was an all brass valve, well made but those O-rings could be well worn or broken. Please post the model number.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks