Old trap arm as vent for new sink drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

stymee

Reaction score
50+ year old house (with crawlspace). Cast iron waste pipes/galvanized vents. I have a kitchen sink that drains slow, laundry room that quit draining completely (upstream of kitchen). I ripped out all of the main 3” waste pipe up to the Y below the sink and it was completely blocked. I will be replacing all of that along with some laundry room remodeling. Here’s some glamor shots of 50 year old cast iron pipes I pulled out. I'm amazed anything is draining at all!

stymee-01.jpg

stymee-02.jpg

stymee-03.jpg

Seeing what happens to cast iron, I would really like to replace the drain for the kitchen sink. Because it was under a window, it has a ~30” long trap arm going to a T and a vertical roof vent (all 2”). Unfortunately, that trap arm also takes the old cast iron pipes behind a bunch of cabinets in the corner of the kitchen, so replacing those is not feasible.

Besides the cast iron pipes being old and nasty, the height of the trap arm leads to a non-ideal situation with the modern, deep sink we have installed. It results in the garbage disposal line being a tad above the trap arm as well as the exit leg of the P trap being longer than it should be.

Current situation:

stymee-04.jpg

I would like to install a new trap arm and drain for the sink. This will allow me to lower the trap arm quite a bit to improve the situation with the P trap and garbage disposal line, while still being well within the 24” maximum distance from the bottom of the sink. This will also give me new, clean PVC lines that I can easily service should the need arise. I plan on keeping this house a long time.

stymee-06.jpg

Option 1: Can I use the old trap arm and vent to vent the new drain? I was thinking something like a loop vent for an island sink. Go as high as I can below the counter and back down to the old trap arm.

From what little knowledge I have, this presents a few issues. The old trap arm probably has the correct drop to the vertical drain/vent and a sanitary T, which are both the wrong direction for a vent. Also, this horizontal connection will be well below the spillover height of the sink. This vent is not shared with any other lines, so that shouldn’t be a problem. It will still have its original connection to the main 3” drain under the floor to act as a relief drain in the event that everything stops up ahead of the new drain. I could also add a clean out to the vent line just above the new sanitary T to allow clean out of the vent if that was ever needed.

stymee-07.jpg

Option 2: Or do I just cap off the old trap arm, and tie the vent in under the floor where it will still have the relief drain and I can give it the proper horizontal rise? This seems like the standard way to handle an island sink. The crawlspace is a little tight, but there should be plenty of room to add the horizontal vent line and any necessary clean outs. I am trying to avoid using an AAV (even though they are allowed in NC as far as I can tell).

What am I missing? Am I over thinking this? (wouldn’t be unusual for me!) Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Forums like these are amazing for folks that like to DIY, and DIY the best way possible.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
new vent runs 6 inches minimum above top of sink . so using old trap arm as vent seems wrong plus it would have 1/4 ipf fall in wrong direction.
I would really want to use the vent pipe through roof as well. Sorry to say that this might be candidate for one of my disliked AAV its the perfect situation , if you ever gut kitchen you could run a real vent.
It sounds like you may be considering a trap beneath floor, I've never done a sink that way but your on different code. If you can connect to the existing vertical stack and plug off trap arm without running your vent horizontal you would be good.
Don't know if NC freezes traps in crawl spaces. I would likely bring a 2 inch line through bottom of cabinet and have trap and AAV under sink.
I run 2 inch to all sinks and lavs with 1 1/2 trap arm unless there is a space constraint regardless of whether code would allow smaller

stymee

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! I figured the trap arm having the wrong drop makes using it to tie in a vent a bad option.

I was definitely planning on keeping the new P trap above the floor under the sink (plenty of room). Sounds like Option 2 with the kitchen island method should work? Anything wrong with the horizontal vent connection below the floor as long as it isn't a shared vent and it has a relief drain? I really want to avoid an AAV.

Thanks again!

stymee

Reaction score
I’d stub up a 3” pipe with a 3x2 sanitary tee for the sink with a cleanout in the top of it.

Before AAV this was common for an island sink in my area and are working fine to this day.
If you had a problem it’s easy enough to remove the cleanout plug and screw in a AAV.

It’s easy and it works. It’s basically a combination waste and vent.

Ah, so with a 3" stub, the idea is that water from the sink can never completely close off the entire stub, so it will always vent? Interesting, and very easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would say option 1 is better than option 2, and I believe it complies with the IPC island sink venting rules. I would think the vent cleanout should be on the horizontal portion to the left of the loop, rather than on the vertical, since the drain cleanout can already access the vertical.

https://up.codes/viewer/north_carolina/ipc-2015/chapter/9/vents#916

As to whether it's allowed to apply those rules to a sink that isn't on an island, I don't know. [One can argue that it is allowed, as island is not defined in the IPC, and there is no explicit prohibition on use for sinks against a wall, as there is in 915, see below.] Likewise, whether that solution or an AAV is better, I don't know.

The solution TheMostHackEver is describing sounds like a Combination Waste and Vent, IPC 915. That section says it requires approval of the plumbing official, and it explicitly prohibits use for sinks against a wall.

https://up.codes/viewer/north_carolina/ipc-2015/chapter/9/vents#915

Cheers, Wayne

stymee

Reaction score
I would say option 1 is better than option 2, and I believe it complies with the IPC island sink venting rules. I would think the vent cleanout should be on the horizontal portion to the left of the loop, rather than on the vertical, since the drain cleanout can already access the vertical.

https://up.codes/viewer/north_carolina/ipc-2015/chapter/9/vents#916

As to whether it's allowed to apply those rules to a sink that isn't on an island, I don't know. [One can argue that it is allowed, as island is not defined in the IPC, and there is no explicit prohibition on use for sinks against a wall, as there is in 915, see below.] Likewise, whether that solution or an AAV is better, I don't know.

The solution TheMostHackEver is describing sounds like a Combination Waste and Vent, IPC 915. That section says it requires approval of the plumbing official, and it explicitly prohibits use for sinks against a wall.

https://up.codes/viewer/north_carolina/ipc-2015/chapter/9/vents#915

Cheers, Wayne

Y'all are awesome. I was just reading about the "only for an island sink" and then was just going to ask why the combination isn't used more often, I guess code changes are the culprit. Other than some code issues, is there anything seriously wrong with the combination waste/vent from a performance stand point? Anyone know why they fell out of favor? It fits the KISS methodology to a T (pun intended?). I can always add an AAV or convert to a proper vent afterwards if there is trouble. Heck, I could always just hook back up to the original trap, and consider the stub just a cleanout, right?

stymee-05.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Reading 915.4.2, you can't attach the above floor detail you've drawn to an arbitrary 3" drain carrying other fixtures. "A vent shall be located downstream from all fixtures in the system, in addition to the upstream vent, separating this system from all other systems in the building."

Since there are other options available, and 915 clearly prohibits Combination Waste and Vent for your situation, I would suggest going with one of the other options. Obviously the code writers felt that while Combination Waste and Vent works, the other options are preferable when possible.

Cheers, Wayne

stymee

Reaction score
Thanks again TheMostHackEver and WWhitney, looks like I have a decision to make. At least I'm far more informed than I was a few hours ago! Y'all have a great Sunday.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks