Old Myers Pump Behaviour

Users who are viewing this thread

canadianguy

Reaction score
Hello all,

Great forum! We bought a house recently that was built in 1973. The house has a shore well as well as town water. The shore well only has one spicket outdoors for watering the lawn, etc. We originally tried turning on the pump and it never shut off. So we shut it off manually. Recently I was watering the lawn and when I went to turn the pump back on it never turned on.

Frustrated, I turned on the water outside and let it go until the tank (Beatty, thats all I can see on it) was empty. The last night when I turned on the switch, magically the pump came back on! I thought the problem would go away. Apparently, I was wrong, the pump again ran without stopping. The tank got up to 55lbs (the tank has a pressure gauge and the pump has a pressure gauge) but this time the pump's gague hovered around 5/10 and never went up.

I'm assuming the pressure gauge or switch on the pump could be bad?

I'm going to next try and flush out the tank and then re pressurize it as i've read in these forums.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

Its a Myers HJ50s(or 8) jet pump.. have nothing on the tank except its a "Beatty Division GSW Ltd".

Thanks!

ExpressWellService

Reaction score
If your going to use the pump you might aswell spend a couple of bucks on it. Its cheaper to water your flowers with well water than city water. Get a new preassure switch and a new gauge, shouldn`t be more than 50 bucks or so, and blow out your galvanized tank, I`m pretty shure the instructions to do that are on this site. Your Myers pump is a good pump and they still make the same pump today, and parts are easy to get if you ever need them. The old beatty tank was made in Guelph ON amd is pretty much obsolite but it will work in your situation just to water the flowers. Good Luck

canadianguy

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply! I tried draining the tank tonight and then turned on the pump again, now its not even getting water or pressure. The tank reads 0 and the pump reads 20 and just air and dirt come out of the spicket. I think its messed up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks