Old copper pipe larger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sparty007

Reaction score
Cut off some old copper supply lines for a bathtub last night to install a new mixing valve (whole thing really) and needed to use a slip coupling. Got it on (almost past the cut) and couldn't budge it either way. Recut the pipe lower thinking it was my cut that was the problem and test fitted an elbow to see if my coupling was bad. Same thing happened.

Both the couplings and elbow go on and off of a new piece of 1/2" copper fine. I've never had this problem before.

Did they make 1/2" copper a little larger, or any idea what I can do? Guy at HD said to use a gatorbite slip coupling..... but not so sure I like that idea. There is an access panel to this plumbing and it is an unfinished basement below, but is the sharkbite worth the risk?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Is this soft or hard copper...if soft it may be distorted causing the tightness...

Sparty007

Reaction score
Ummmm..... it's normal water supply lines - residential. My guess is it's hard, I assume soft copper would be flexible lines for an ice maker......?

If that's the case it's hard.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If a slip coupling doesn't fit forget a Gatorbite or, Sharkbite fitting...
As usual smockman fails to have a clue!

Lancaster

Reaction score
It likely froze and swoll up.In such a case you normally have to cut it back to where it is its original diameter and start from there.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
That's funny, throw a sharkbit at it. Sharkbites what you need. Use a sharkbite. Sounds like someones found their answer to all plumbing problems.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Seems to be his best answer lately....
Sharkbite it!

smockmanapron.jpg

I did use 2 of them last week!
Repiped a trailer with polybutylene and used 2 on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks