Now I am leaning towards copper on top of these hot/cold supply lines but its always wet

Users who are viewing this thread

Curiousv

Reaction score
Even if I check after like 2 hours after shut off main in the front yard.
hot and cold lines always water coming out ...and I learned that for copper soldering they need be absolute dry.

This is the first time I am thinking about copper soldering ..I have done soldering before but not on copper.

So what is the solution ? may be I should give up an idea about copper soldering and should think about ProPress copper fittings?

I want to continue using metal at this moment because ground concern - but may be I should think of PEX (expanding type not B type)

Please check pic - there is a ground wire connected to cold line. @Terry @Afjes @jadnashua @Tuttles Revenge

unionout.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Are those capped galvanized pipes in your photo what you are looking to extend? Those look like old time water hammer arrestors.

Curiousv

Reaction score
Are those capped galvanized pipes in your photo what you are looking to extend? Those look like old time water hammer arrestors.
Yes because I have already installed bathtub - by mistake - I dont think I can or should remove those galv pipes

Reach4

Reaction score
Bath tubs usually have slow-closing valves, so they don't really need shock arrestors.

If trying to connect copper or PEX to galvanized, that is done with threaded connections. Avoid plastic female threads.

PEX is a little springy, so will help minimize water hammer vs galvanized which is a lot less springy.

Curiousv

Reaction score
Bath tubs usually have slow-closing valves, so they don't really need shock arrestors.

If trying to connect copper or PEX to galvanized, that is done with threaded connections. Avoid plastic female threads.

PEX is a little springy, so will help minimize water hammer vs galvanized which is a lot less springy.
I am still split between copper vs PEX cause I have not soldered my whole life...is it ok to use PEX pipe between valve and shower head ? someone said you can not use PEX there ...I know we can not use between valve and tub spout but what about between shower head and valve?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am still split between copper vs PEX because I have not soldered my whole life...is it ok to use PEX pipe between valve and shower head ? someone said you can not use PEX there ...I know we can not use between valve and tub spout but what about between shower head and valve?
PEX is fine valve to showerhead if the valve has a diverter with separate output for the showerhead. The potential problem comes in if using a diverter spout. If there is too much backpressure between where the water tees off between showerhead and spout, water can climb out of the showerhead when you are trying to use the spout.

There are ways around that if you really want. It can be a sensitive topic, and saying no PEX between valve and spout is a nice clear bright-line action that should keep you out of trouble.

Curiousv

Reaction score
PEX is fine valve to showerhead if the valve has a diverter with separate output for the showerhead. The potential problem comes in if using a diverter spout. If there is too much backpressure between where the water tees off between showerhead and spout, water can climb out of the showerhead when you are trying to use the spout.

There are ways around that if you really want. It can be a sensitive topic, and saying no PEX between valve and spout is a nice clear bright-line action that should keep you out of trouble.
Valve has 4 holes/connections and yes we have to use spout to direct flow of water either using that spout or direct it to go upwards to showerhead

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In that type of valve, the only thing keeping water from also going up to the showerhead is the larger, full port outlet to the tub spout, If that outlet is restricted in any manner, water WILL try to go up to the showerhead at the same time. To prevent that, you cannot use PEX there, but the PEX has plenty of capacity to feed a single showerhead without issues. It might be a problem if you were trying to feed two showerheads or more, but certainly not for one. Federal guidelines say that showerhead can't be more than 2.5gpm, and some places have even lower restrictions on it. 1/2" PEX can easily handle that volume.

To anchor the shower arm, you'll want to use a drop-ear el fitting at the top of the riser.

Dropear el pex.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks