No Hub Coupling

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi I figured I will like to ask the experts here on a situation. Working in the walkout basement and realized water was dripping down. I figured it was my neighbors upstairs two floors up bathroom new install was causing the problem. We did some troubleshooting and realized the bathroom downpipe going through my top floor was hitting a hole in the pipe and travelling down the pipe on the outside. The hole was caused by a prior tenant who did the normal thing and put a large screw into the wall to hang a painting. That screw hit the downpipe and put a hole in it. One day the screw was removed. Then with the new bathroom extra water caused the situation. My neighbor was handy and cut a hole in the wall and then cut out a section of the PVC pipe where the hold in the pipe was. He installed a no hub coupling. Is that a good solution. If so how long will it last. Thanks for the help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the coupling is a reinforced one (metal shield around it), that is considered a permanent repair. If it's one with only hose clamps on either end of a rubber sleeve, those are not specified for use above ground as the joint can get offset, stretching the rubber and creating problems.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
If the coupling is a reinforced one (metal shield around it), that is considered a permanent repair. If it's one with only hose clamps on either end of a rubber sleeve, those are not specified for use above ground as the joint can get offset, stretching the rubber and creating problems.
Fantastic. It looks like some drywall cutting and doublechecking. I rather do that then have this worry me. If I remember correctly it was just the rubber sleeve with two clamps. Go figure. Thanks!