Copper stub out too short. Best way to address?

Users who are viewing this thread

PepeLePue

Reaction score
Had a plumber put in new copper lines while I was renovating bathroom. Apparently he left the lines too short I can’t cut the cold line as it’s barely above the cabinet base. I tried sweating it off but doesn’t budge. Possible that I kinked it or pinched it while trying to pull the cap off. What would you recommend doing in this situation? Cut open base of vanity?

I drained the lines from floor below and drilled a hole in the cap to be sure water wasn't trapped in the arm. I'm going to make a bigger hole and see now I think maybe there is water in the pipe still somehow..

pwyxy28cy69c1.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would first try drilling a bigger hole in the cap and getting the water out with a household sprayer. Take the sprayer off of a windex bottle and put the tube down in the hole you drill. If there's no water you should be able to gently heat the cap to around 4 hundred degrees. Don't over heat. Gently grip the cap and tug while slightly twisting.

Most of the problems with this are water for one, then it's mostly people just start to panic. They start to grip too tightly and hurry themselves. If it's not overly crimped by your previous attempts you should be able to get it off.

Last edited:

Slomoola

Reaction score
The time it took to cap it, could of compressed on a shutoff valve like the left side of the pic.

Several caveman ways to remove the cap. Have a fire extinguisher handy. License plate with a hole.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
The time it took to cap it, could of compressed on a shutoff valve like the left side of the pic.

Or he could have left a bit more copper!!! I wonder if he had that length left over and figured oh what the heck..

John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
who knows cabinet could have had a very high kick . just one of those things you typically dont want them 2 foot in the air either . no fun picking a cabinet way up high either. job needs to get done and hopefully someone learns

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks