New Well. New House. Rotten Egg Smell. Need some recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

stealle

Reaction score
The house is almost finished. I need to get my water taken care of before we move in.

The 6" well is at 72 foot deep with a static water level of 19 feet. The pump is located in the well and is capable of 25 GPM. There is plenty of water. The well company says I could easily pump over 50 gpm with a stronger pump. The line from the well goes under the house and up the basement floor in the mechanical room. This is a house of 5 people. There are 4 full bathrooms and one 1/2 bath. 2 dishwashers. The master bathroom has a large shower with 2 high flow shower heads. It's a house with me and a bunch of girls. I'd like to keep as much flow as possible so several people can shower at the same time if possible.

When the water comes out of the faucet it looks clear, but it has an awful smell of rotten eggs. The brand new white toilets (based on recommendations from this forum, all 5 are Toto Ultramx II, BTW) have a film in the bottom of the bowl. It appears kind of tan yellow. I should have taken a picture to post here... Let me know if that would be helpful.

My propane distributer (Hicks Gas) also does water softeners. I had the guy come out and look at it. They sell water-right systems. He looked at the toilet bowl and immediately said I have tannins. He flushed the toilet and wiped his finger on the bowl and easily wiped off the tan film. Said, "yep, you've got tannins." I'm not sure what to think about this guy because I've read tannins stay suspended in the water, not settle on the bowl. I also mentioned the importance of water flow for multiple showers throughout the house. He suggested a 1.0 cu. ft. tannin/iron system that has some sort of chlorine generator built in and a 30,000 grain water softener. I told him I didn't think these systems were large enough to allow enough flow. He said there is "no restriction in flow the water just goes in one side and out the other." I've lost faith in this guy.

I took a water sample to the Illinois Water Survey at the U of I. They are slow. I only have some preliminary results on a few items. They said these results should be very close to the final results. pH 7.5, Iron 1.07 ppm, Ca 115.8 ppm, Magnesium 57.6 ppm, Hardness 526 ppm (31 gpg).

The well was supposedly chlorinated when it was first drilled and cased. It then sat unused for a year. When it was connected to the house I got a charge for chlorination. There were no faucets in the house at that time so I know they didn't run chlorine through the house plumbing. I'm wondering if just chlorinating the well really good could possibly eliminate the smell. Probably just temporary, right? Sure would be wonderful if that's all it needs...

So, I'm considering DIY with either a flow based chlorine pellet dropper at the well head or a proportional flow chlorine injection system going into a static inline mixer. Either way, combined with a 2.5 cu. ft. Fleck 5810XTR2 backwashing carbon system and a 2.5 cu ft. Fleck 5810XTR2 tannin water softener.

What do you guys suggest?

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Something like your DIY solution (chlorination, carbon, softener) solved a similar problem I had in FL. With iron that high, I doubt it's temporary. BUT, I'm about as far from a pro as you can get. Good luck.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Tannins are very tricky. I have had some grat success with a media called ecomix. This media is not very efficient but is has been very effective. Otherwise you are looking at an iron reduction system, softener, and a tannin reduction system. That is a lot of equipment. Have you consedered getting an actual tannin test?

stealle

Reaction score
Yes. I've considered a tannin test. My local test that is in process said I will get some idea of tannins based on the "color" test they perform. Results for that are not in yet. They don't do a specific tannin test. But.. yeah.. I should probably send a sample off for that.

I've got a local water treament guy coming out tonight. Was hoping for more feed back here before I meet him. Do you think it's best to treat the rotten egg smell with pellet dropper at the well head or chlrine injection. If chlorine injection do you agree that a static inline mixer is all that I need to thouroughly mix the chlorine prior to the entering the carbon filtration?

Do you agree that I probably need a system like the Fleck 5810 with 2.5cu.ft to get the flow through this system I want so multiple people can shower at the same time?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you think it's best to treat the rotten egg smell with pellet dropper at the well head or chlrine injection.
You are talking about dropping chlorine pellets into the well?
Do you agree that I probably need a system like the Fleck 5810 with 2.5cu.ft to get the flow through this system I want so multiple people can shower at the same time?
SFR (service flow rate) for 1.5 ft3 = 12, 2.0 ft3 = 13, 2.5 ft3 = 18 gpm.

A showerhead is about 2.5 gpm.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I am not much of a fan of the pellet drop systems, they are a unique concept but I have seen a couple of serious problems with them. I would avoid doing anything that could risk your well/pump. These are extremely expensive, better to sanitize it on occasion rather than continually.

I would lean more towards a H2o2 injection run off the flow meter from the 5810XTR2 (the newest valves have been updated to allow a pulse to go out based on water flow), a static mixer should be adequate assuming your H2s levels are low. Typically less than 2 ppm is very easy to treat. Then a simple softener. If you play a little bit you may be able to reduce the appearance of the Tannins with H2o2. This is very hit and miss but it can be effective.

stealle

Reaction score
I would lean more towards a H2o2 injection run off the flow meter from the 5810XTR2 (the newest valves have been updated to allow a pulse to go out based on water flow), a static mixer should be adequate assuming your H2s levels are low. Typically less than 2 ppm is very easy to treat. Then a simple softener. If you play a little bit you may be able to reduce the appearance of the Tannins with H2o2. This is very hit and miss but it can be effective.

I can do H2o2. I want to do whatever it takes to solve the problem. My wife is accustomed to city water. Here are my goals and priorities in order. 1. Smell. It’s bad. Nobody wants to shower or wash their hands in that. 2. Color: The water appears fairly clear in a white bucket. But the toilets have a tan film (that easily wiped off) that makes it look like the last person peed and forgot to flush. My wife will freak if our white clothes turn yellow 3. Hardness. I hope to keep glass shower door looking reasonably clean. I paid extra for showerguard glass and I realize I still need to keep it clean and dry as possible. 4. Snotty toilet tank. I’ve got suspended bubbles forming in the tanks. 5. Taste. This is actually the least of my concerns. I have a RO systems that will pump water the to fridges and a couple water taps that will take care of the drinking water. However, I do need to make sure the water is safe to rinse/wash food prep.

Oh and high water flow is a high priority as well. Geez... I’m not asking for much am I. Lol

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks