New pump with control box pump cycle time

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
some Yahoo just billed me for $500 for installing [I was out of town] a 13$ pressure switch in 2 hours.
I had thought it was 4 hours. Was the 4 hours the time before he arrived?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
New pump, pressure tank and pump control box was installed by local plumber. I thought I was getting a control box that varied the pump speed to control pressure

The plumber gave him just what he asked for. And I wouldn't install one of those VFD's for less than 1100 bucks either, as I would have to stand behind it. Or worse, when my customer figured out all the problems with those VFD type controllers he might never call me again, even though he ask for it specifically. Might be the last money I ever get from that customer and need to make up some lost profits for a lost customer. Plumber is behind the eight ball either way, as it also makes customers mad to try and talk them out of what they ask for.

So many people are on these forums learning how to DIY because it does and should cost 4 times or more to have a contractor do it for you. Even contractors who work by themselves and out of a shop in their back yard have a certain amount of set expenses. It doesn't have to be a very large business to require making 500 or a 1000 bucks everyday to break even and stay in business. Even on a small scale, a truck payment, insurance, electric bill, advertising, tools, and everything else can add up quickly. It is hard for a contractor to even take on a $500 job when he knows his expenses are more than that everyday. Even a one hour job can cost the contractor half a day. Scheduling another half day job may not be possible. Putting off a full day and good paying job to go help someone with a small problem can be financial suicide.

I have no problem paying an experienced, licensed, insured, and well tooled contractor what he ask. My problem is that the vast majority of contractors don't know what they are doing, and many lack common sense. Some things should be obvious, like knowing a pressure switch has worked fine for 20 years being 2' away from the tank, seeing that the new switch did not bounce, and understanding the switch did not need to be moved closer to the tank. However, there are very few contractors who will ever understand the complexity of pumps and especially complicated controls like VFD's. Most are just doing the best they can with what the pump and control manufacturers are telling them.

Speaking of the manufacturers, they don't want the contractors or customers to know too much about the products. They only want the contractors to know enough to install the equipment and replace it on a regular basis. Manufacturers are in business to make money. By definition most manufacturers are sociopaths. They will do or say anything to get you to buy their product. Just look at what they spend the most money advertising and you will know which products are made to fail shortly and cost you the most money. They spend millions advertising those VFD's, because they make billions selling them to customers who fall for the hype. They even have the government subsidizing and mandating the use of VFD's because they too want to be seen as helpful to the general public. It is just incredible to me that they can con so many people into believing adding a VFD, which uses 5% more electricity by itself, can save energy pumping water? Any pump is most efficient when running at full speed. A VFD reduces the energy needed to spin the pump and motor, but the pump/motor now spins much longer to pump the same amount of water (less efficient), which makes the energy used per gallon of water increase dramatically. But everybody sees the amps drop when the pump/motor is spinning slower, and falls for the hype, hook, line, and sinker.

Main thing to remember is manufacturers are driven by marketing, which is just the opposite of what is best for the consumer. If you have seen something advertised heavily, you should probably do just the opposite. :)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks