New anglestop shutoff valve leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

DOPeter

Reaction score
Another newbie question...My brand new shutoff valve leaks when I open the valve but not when closed. Not just a drip, but more of a spray. I tried tightening the screw but no help there....

Is this fixable by tightening the packing nut and/or replacing the washer? Can I do this without turning off the water to the house? I would just replace the valve, but it is sweated on in a tight spot in my vanity and I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Thanks,
Pete

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try tightening the packing nut. You don't need to turn off the water to do this. Then make sure the valve is completely open. Sometimes they leak when they are not fully open.

DOPeter

Reaction score
Thanks, That worked. Tightened the nut a bit and does not leak when completely open, but dribbles a little when partially open.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
ball valve

I've had it with those stupid cut-offs with leaky valve stem packing and old washers that won't hold after being in place for umpteen years. Now it's nothing but ball valves for me.

Stew

Reaction score
new shutoff valve leaking - ball valves

Ball valves, meaning qtr turn valves, in the case of supply stops do not have packing. Only in your pressure rated ball valves do you find a packing nut. Actually, the o-ring packing may be better than an actual packing nut. The materials being used in o-rings often have a longer life than the metal used in the valve. Most of the brass valves being put into homes are coming in from China, where the packing nut is more of a cosmetic feature than actually contribute to the performance of the valve. It will not do much to stop leakage through the stem.

DOPeter

Reaction score
Stew, are you saying that you recommend the quarter turn ball valves over the regular shutoff valves for residential applicatons (vanity sinks, etc)?

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
We have been selling the quarter turn shut-offs here for about 5 years now. We have never had one complaint. We have completely stopped selling the old style.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks