Need to replace tub spout adapter line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rotty20

Reaction score
I mistakenly over tightened my set screw on tub spout now need to replace the short copper pipe to it. I have PEX connected to it now, to valves and shower head. I have access to the back. Am I better off heating from the front or rear? Either way there's wood. I'll use a pie plate to save some scorching. Any ideas would be great. Thanks .

20221216_191648.jpg
20221216_191636_HDR.jpg
20221216_191654.jpg

Rotty20

Reaction score
I mistakenly over tightened my set screw on tub spout now need to replace the short copper pipe to it. I have pex connected to it now, to valves and shower head. I have acess to the back. Am i better off heating from the front or rear? Either way there's wood. Ill use a pie plate to save some scorching. Any ideas would be great. Thanks .
Also that white piece got stuck on, i did get it back off.

Rotty20

Reaction score
Get rid of what you have and install a new Moen tub spout that is a copper slip spout.

moen-3931-terrylove-01.jpg

moen-3931-terrylove-02.jpg
That's what I was using but i tightened it then dummy me i turned it and scored around the whole pipe, now water leaks back towards wall. And pipes squished a bit. My bad.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. I have done a grand total of 7 solder joints that are in use in my house. I did a lot of practice before I did those.

Terry has a ton of experience, so his suggestion is likely your best bet.

If you are going to de-solder:
- Soak the surrounding wood with water. You don’t want to burn the house down.
- Wrap the fitting going into the shower valve with a damp rag to keep everything else cool.
- If you are not used to soldering, practice. If you solder a closed loop to a boiler drain, you can hook your work up to a garden hose to make sure your joints are good.

Rotty20

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. I have done a grand total of 7 solder joints that are in use in my house. I did a lot of practice before I did those.

Terry has a ton of experience, so his suggestion is likely your best bet.

If you are going to de-solder:
- Soak the surrounding wood with water. You don’t want to burn the house down.
- Wrap the fitting going into the shower valve with a damp rag to keep everything else cool.
- If you are not used to soldering, practice. If you solder a closed loop to a boiler drain, you can hook your work up to a garden hose to make sure your joints are good.

Should i also remove the cartridges as to not accidentally melt the rubber gaskets in side from all the heat?

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Honestly, I am not sure. If you get the valve that hot, I would also be worried about damaging the PEX. There might be merit in keeping the water in it to keep it cool. Like I said, my experience in this is limited. I would see what the pros say.

Rotty20

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks