need help

Users who are viewing this thread

seamus1757

Reaction score
OK, IM pump dumb .this I know I have a 420' deep well that is a low producer? my pump is a Meyer submersible( says so on the pressure tank). MY pump is 1 hp and 5 gal per min flow. I had this pump replaced 5 years ago because it supposedly ran dry and burned up . so now for some reason last night my pump shut down . Ive tried fliping the handle up to start it and it did jump a couple of times but now it does nothing. it has a new relay/switch? which is a 30-50 on it and I have 230 volts on both sides of the relay but the pump will not come on. IM not too sure of the only 2 companies we have here wondering just how trusy worthythe are? we are rural and kind of at their mercy. my pressure tank is I think a 20 or 30 lb tank when he came out and changed the switch I notived he wrote on the take (15 lbs) but acording to what I read it should be at 28 lbs. so I checked it and it was at 13lbs I increased the air to 28 lbs but still no go .again I have 230 v on the line in and motor side but no jumping of tank no nothing , can this pump be bad already>??helpppppppppp ps my e-mail is seamus1757@hotmail.com

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You or someone need to do electrical checks like ohms, shorts, amps if possible, continuity etc. and if there is proper voltage at the well.

Do you have a control box? You can tell if there are 4 conductors going to the well. If you have 2, or 3, you don't have a control box and you have a 2 wire pump. If you have a box, it is between the pressure switch and the well and then you have a 3 wire pump.

Here's where you can learn all about that.
http://www.franklin-electric.com/business/WaterSystems/service/AIM/page-43.aspx

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Oh yah I had the switch replaced a few months ago as the old one went out

This is not a sign of a pump that burns out because of dry running. This is the first sign of a pump that is cycling on and off way to much. Low air pressure in the tank, leak somewhere, bad check valve, or too small a tank will cause this. Most pumps are destroyed from cycling on and off. You just have to figure out what is causing it, and then there are ways to fix it.

seamus1757

Reaction score
no control box its a 2 wire 230 volt line in2 wires and motor side 2 wires down and I increased the tank pressure to 28 lbs for the 30-50 switch

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Check the current draw with a clamp-on ammeter. No draw = open circuit.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
and its not cycling on and off , it just went off
The low air pressure in the tank can't prevent the pump from running.

That wouldn't cause the pump to allow the pressure to fall to where the switch tripped because of low pressure. So unless you had drawn the well down too far and the pump couldn't keep up, we don't know why the pump wouldn't run.

And if the pressure was 0, which it was to cause you to reset the low pressure safety switch, the pump should have started every time you raised the Handle to the Start position. That's unless you overheated the motor when lifting the handle through the Start position repeatedly and the thermal overload opened, shutting off the pump until it cooled.

So unless that's what you did, you haven't found/fixed the pump not running problem. If it was mine I'd do the electrical tests.