Need help with banging pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Evan conklin

Reaction score
This will take a bit to explain but I will try my best. I live in a guest house of a friend. A few weeks ago I needed to turn off the outflow from the hot water heater. When I turned it back on we starters getting some banging pipes. We drained the system and tried to bleed air out of it to no effect. Our landlords got the pressure tank replaced and still nothing.
Those are the nuts and bolts. Explaining the system and sumptoms is where it gets more complicated. We are on the same system as the main house. Our main water pipe splits off from the main houses at the well head. We do not have a pressure tank in our house there is only the one in the main house. The banging seems to be triggered by running water, hot or cold, in our house or the main house. It is not associated with any turning off any fixture or a flushing toilet. The banging sound changes location and severity/amplitude and is always preceded with a buzzing sound, that sounds like the well pump as crazy as that seems. To reiterate the point, the banging is triggered even when we are not running any water in our house.

The new pressure tank has helped decrease the frequency of the banging and the buzzing sound preceding it is now 15 seconds as opposed to 5 seconds with the old tank. Draining the system and closing the spigots and fixtures before turning the water back on decreases the amplitude for a time but it is still there and gets worse after a day or so.

I guess that’s all. Any help is greatly appreciated.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
....The banging seems to be triggered by running water, hot or cold, in our house or the main house. It is not associated with any turning off any fixture or a flushing toilet. The banging sound changes location and severity/amplitude and is always preceded with a buzzing sound, that sounds like the well pump as crazy as that seems. To reiterate the point, the banging is triggered even when we are not running any water in our house...

I suspect the valve you used to turn off the water initially is the cause if it has a seat washer. It is lose or deteriorated and it vibrates (buzz) as water flows. As for the banging it a mystery to me possible it's a gate valve. Some water heaters a gate valve is used and as they age, the stem for the gate breaks on the inside opening it back up and you may not have realized it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume the pump is a submersible down the well.
The banging seems to be triggered by running water, hot or cold, in our house or the main house.
That water use triggered the pressure switch to turn the pump on. Then the water use can be stopped well before the bang.

I suspect the valve you used to turn off the water initially is the cause if it has a seat washer.
Evan describes a bang when the pump shuts off after reaching the shut-off pressure. The

I am wondering if removing the suspected check valve at the main home would stop that bang. Another thought is that the check valve at the pump is failing, and is slow to close.

Reach4

Reaction score
What does the pressure gauge say when this is happening? And is the pump even running when this happens?
What I suspect was being described is somebody in either house uses water. The pressure drops to the cut-in pressures. The submersible pump turns on, and that is what is picked up as a "buzzing sound". I can't hear my submersible pump, unless I am next to my pressure tank, and even then, I just hear a gentle hum.

When the pump cuts off, there is a water hammer.

Of course I might have read more into it than I should have.

Evan conklin

Reaction score
We don’t have full access to the main house where the gauge is. It’s hard to be sure if the pump is running when it happens

Reach4

Reaction score
We don’t have full access to the main house where the gauge is. It’s hard to be sure if the pump is running when it happens
You could put a garden hose thread pressure gauge in your house. It can go on an outside hose spigot, a laundry tap, or the drain on the water heater. Expect while the pump is running, for pressure to be rising. When the pump shuts off, expect the pressure to hold steady or drop.

We suspect the needle will jump up momentarily when the single bang happens.

Such a gauge is under $20, and often under $10.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks