Question about banging pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Cabin_Mama

Reaction score
We're on a well. We had some simple plumbing work done recently and when we went to shut off the house water, the main shutoff valve (gate valve) did not work. We ran the water for 15 minutes and it never slowed. We ended up having to cut the power to the well.

Fast forward a week ... water has been normal and now all of a sudden, sometimes when I run the washing machine, while filling, the water pressure suddenly drops and we hear a spectacular, panic-inducing banging in the pipes below the house. Even the hoses behind the machine wiggle.
I don't think the supply line filters for the washer are clogged, because the next wash cycle will be fine and fill beautifully.

I assume there was some crud or air from the gate valve and it's working its way through the pipes, but ..
1. Am I right?
2. How long can I expect this to happen?
3. Why does it happen on some washes and not others? (Doesn't seem to depend on wash cycle temperature).
4. Is there anything I should do?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
gate valve needs replacing its broken any way but I belive its contributing to the hammer if not at least your valve will be fixed. i think the valve isnt fully open

Cabin_Mama

Reaction score
gate valve needs replacing its broken any way but I belive its contributing to the hammer if not at least your valve will be fixed. i think the valve isnt fully open
Thank you, Jeff! I went down and opened the valve a little more... problem seems to have resolved. I definitely plan to get it replaced!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gate valves need to be OPEN or CLOSED every time they're used. Never left in the middle because the Gate gets worn out by the water passing by. When you replace it, get a Full Port Ball Valve installed instead of a gate valve.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you, Jeff! I went down and opened the valve a little more... problem seems to have resolved. I definitely plan to get it replaced!
open all the way not a little more mayby its broken I dont know but open as far as you can

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks