My basket strainer drain project

Users who are viewing this thread

NebraskANN

Reaction score
... isn't going as well as might be expected. Who knew there was so much to learn about basket strainer drains? I'm sure you did, but I was surprised.

I read about three dozen reviews of the various basket strainer drains at Home Depot and finally found one that everyone seems to like. It's substantial, in terms of weight and construction, doesn't leak when you want to hold water in the sink, and the notches in the strainer are sufficient to hold it up when you do want the water to drain. It won't corrode and it does come with instructions.

The new problem is the PVC slip-joint extension tube that I was going to order to connect to the drain. All the reviews are terrible. It seems like there are quality-control issues. The washers are flimsy and don't do much to provide a good connection, so they seem to leak quite often. Would a metal tube work better, and can I connect a metal tube to a PVC J-section to create a trap? Would it be better to use a metal J-section, and could I connect that to my existing PVC? At some point, I'm going to have to cut a pipe to fit what's already there. I have a hacksaw. I have no idea how to cut a metal pipe.

I hate to impose a second time, but could you offer some advice on my pipes? Thank you. -- Ann

Attachments

• IMG_0400 (1).JPG
    IMG_0400 (1).JPG
    68 KB · Views: 215

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you asking about a tailpiece extension? Those things are pretty common, and are usually in stock.
everbilt-drains-drain-assemblies-c9792-64_145.jpg
everbilt-drains-drain-assemblies-c790-1-64_145.jpg

You can mix slip-joint PVC and slip-joint brass.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The metal drain parts at the home centers aren't very robust. I've seen installations that were done in heavier gauge metal, but don't know where they come from. I've stuck my thumb through so many of the thin p-traps, I just stay away from them.
Quality does vary some on the slip joint parts. Sometimes there's an overly prominent casting ridge on them that could make it difficult to get a good seal. Not a huge problem most of the time.
I prefer some of the slip-joint parts from Lowe's over HD.
I could enjoy this if the computer would stop respelling my words. Wears me out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I mainly use PVC with slip joints under a kitchen sink. One time in the last six months I used a homeowner supplied P-trap. It leaked.
The stuff I get at wholesale does seem to have better seams on the pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks