Muddy orange water coming out of a new water well

Users who are viewing this thread

sabiduria

Reaction score
The water well was made about 10 years ago but just now it is getting power.

The water seems to be coming clean out of the faucet, but once a water bucket is filled out, one can see like an orange color water.

I was told I needed to let the water run for a few minutes before I will get some clean water. On Saturday I let it ran for like 8 minutes and no change, I am still seeing muddy water.

My question is: How long should I let a faucet run before I will get some clean water?

Reach4

Reaction score
Stop pumping for a while if the well runs dry. 24 hours might be good. Maybe you won't need that long. If there is danger of the well running dry, turn the pump off while unattended.

Run the water from a hose hooked to the drain spigot at the pressure tank, or from an outside spigot. Put it in the yard or ditch, rather than your septic tank , to avoid overloading your septic system. If you can run enough flow that the pump is not cycling, that is usually better.

I am not a pro.

Last edited:

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
You say the water appears clear when it comes out of the faucet. How long does it take to turn orange when you fill a 5 gallon bucket?

Is it just orange tinted or is it so turbid that you can’t see the bottom of the bucket?

sabiduria

Reaction score
it is just orange tinted. I let it ran for about 20 min or so today and I think it started to clear now, at least right at the drain spigot at the pressure tank. I will let it run some more tomorrow and will report. .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks