Move the toilet across the room - what am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

ScaredNewb69

Reaction score
Sewer gas isn't healthy. If you live with kids and a wife their health would be worth more than removing some drywall.
Allllllllright. This is crossing into a territory beyond plumbing. I'll talk to the plumber who will be doing a job in another room about a sewer gas check in the house, and get their professional opinion on whether it's necessary, and I appreciate your concern. Beyond that, I'm not interested in any more of your input at this point, thanks.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If the sewer smell only happens when you have not used the washer for 3 weeks, it could be the trap drying out in the dry weather.

ScaredNewb69

Reaction score
If the sewer smell only happens when you have not used the washer for 3 weeks, it could be the trap drying out in the dry weather.
Update

After hearing the input on vents, and seeing that there does appears to be a vent, or at least a roof penetration that looks like one in the adjacent laundry room, I'm thinking that adding what I guess is called a re-vent would be doable. Updated drawing below.

Existing drain in BLACK. New WC branch in ORANGE. Shower line is GREEN - that's one part I'm not sure about, since I can't see it, but I'm pretty sure it goes as shown. The bit between the old WC and the existing vent is a guess but I'd say I'm 90% sure.

The re vent would come off the vent stack in the ceiling at a straight tee, then travel across the ceiling void and drop through a partition wall next to the old toilet. It could join the drain there, using the old WC riser (stepped down obviously), I guess, but I'm reading elsewhere that I don't want the new WC riser more than 4 feet from the vent.

- Is vent sizing an issue? i was thinking 1.5" just to make it easy to get through the partition wall, which is 1x3.
- Is the re-vent a good solution here? Is rrunning the vent loop parallel to and at roughly the same height as the drain for a short distance kosher?

EDITED to correct 'loop vent' to re-vent.

Attachments

• Drawing.jpeg
    Drawing.jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited: