Moen Caldwell Shower valve (Only) Model 82495EPBRB

Users who are viewing this thread

Skitrman

Reaction score
Recently purchased a Moen Caldwell with Valve, and shower head (Shower only) Model 82495EPBRP for a shower remodel. I connected everything up today and turned the water on. Had a drip at one lower connection (just needed to tighten a little more), and up at where the shower head will go had two drips (one at the Cap and one at the pipe). I tightened these and stopped it but as I got to thinking about it I was wondering why it was leaking at the shower head? There should not have been any pressure at the shower head to cause this to leak there. According the instructions on Moen's website this handle should only turn 270 degrees (6 O'clock to 9 O'clock counterclockwise). I put my wrench on the valve end and it spins round and round as much as you want to turn it either direction!!!!
Can anyone tell me why this would be happening? Did I get a faulty valve or? It is a posi-temp valve but I have not done anything with that yet as I am only roughed in currently. Please Help ASAP!
Scott

GReynolds929

Reaction score
The cartridge will spin 360°. The stop tube and handle adapter are what keeps the handle from spinning in a circle. The cartridge is usually set to on when shipped. For off the notch on the stem should be down.

Skitrman

Reaction score
The cartridge will spin 360°. The stop tube and handle adapter are what keeps the handle from spinning in a circle. The cartridge is usually set to on when shipped. For off the notch on the stem should be down.
I am attaching a picture of the valve as I can see any notch you are referring to. Let me know if what you see so I can make sure I start with it in the off position. I don't want to close up the wall until I am sure everything is ok.

Attachments

• Moen Shower Valve.jpg
    Moen Shower Valve.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 64

Skitrman

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Moen and now understand what you meant by notch. I now have it in the down position and will test it later today to ensure it is working properly. Thanks for the help even though I was confused.
Scott

GReynolds929

Reaction score
It appears to be off. There should be a small notch on the tip of the bottom flat that is circled in red. You can feel it with a finger nail, or turn it 180° and see it.
IMG_3016.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks