Mini Split wiring Question

Users who are viewing this thread

jbaz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have two Lg ductless mini splits that I am installing. 208v 20 amp. I have run 12/3 Romex from the panel to the outdoor required disconnects.

I know that I have to run THHN from the disconnect through the seal tite conduit.

My question is if this is an compliance with code or do I have to run THHN the entire way from panel to unit.

Thanks in advance.

Stuff

Reaction score
Non-metallic cable is fine as long as it is not exposed outside or in conduit outside.

Why 12/3 instead of just 12/2 w/ground? I didn't think that the mini-splits needed a neutral.

jbaz

Reaction score
Non-metallic cable is fine as long as it is not exposed outside or in conduit outside.

Why 12/3 instead of just 12/2 w/ground? I didn't think that the mini-splits needed a neutral.

I bought what I thought it said in the manual. I n case I was mistaken, can I wire not the unsed strand or do I have to rerun it?

jbaz

Reaction score
I bought what I thought it said in the manual. In case I was mistaken, can I wire nut the unused strand or do I have to rerun it?

The inspector said that I have to use conduit outdoors. Romex can't be in conduit, right?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The inspector said that I have to use conduit outdoors. Romex can't be in conduit, right?

You can run NM in a section of conduit where is is necessary to protect it from physical damage, but not more that what is required for that purpose.

Stuff

Reaction score
I bought what I thought it said in the manual. I n case I was mistaken, can I wire not the unsed strand or do I have to rerun it?
No problem. If you ran 12/3 then you can just cap off the white neutral. Don't cut it off.
Non-metallic cable (NMC a.k.a. Romex®) can be run in conduit indoors but not outside as it is considered a wet location. NM is generally allow to feed the outside disconnect box without conduit if it comes in from the back so none of it is exposed or in conduit. If you can't do that then put a junction box on the inside of the house and convert it to conduit there. It is done all the time by having a whip connect to the disconnect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks