Major plumbing make over need opinions

Users who are viewing this thread

dirk_411

Reaction score
Hey guys. havent started yet but hwre is the plan, everything going to be new inside except for existing iron filter and water softener. I'm going to a home run pex system from the old trunk and branch copper. as for additions I am going to add a micro z Erie sediment filter 2.0, I have two 19" rusco spindowns, one is sediment trapper and other is full spindown. Can't remember size of SS mesh on them. Was planning on adding a few pressure indicators in desired spots.

I have a new csv pside kick, manifolds aren't ordered yet just deciding on size and port numbers. will be copper and and am using full flow ball valves for shut offs.

things should look like this when done. pressure system, micro z sediment filter, iron filter, water softener then off to hot water tank then proceed to manifolds, from there to usage.

So what do you think? I'm a rural home, drilled well 130ft deep, pump at 100ft. reason for upgrade? Looking for constant pressure, looking forward to a toilet flush not dropping the pressure in the shower. little better water filtration too with the micro z Erie.

let me know what you think....please.

one question I do have is regarding power outages? I realize why I'm going to the pside kick csv, queston I have is, it would be nice to have a little more tank storage so every time we flush a toilet the pump won't come when the generator is running. normal utility I'm fine with the 4 gallon tank, it's just when I'm on gas generator......don't want pump load steady. would a larger auxiliary pressure tank be the answer or go to a bigger tank on the CSV? or do nothin?

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you don't have a constant,on demand, source of power, you need to either store power or store water.

What do you do for electricity now, if the generator isn't running?

One option is to pump into a reservoir and have a 12v rd water pump with a battery that is recharged when the generator is running. Here you're storing water. If it was an elevated reservior, you wouldn't even need the pump. Put in a 70 ft or higher reservior, now you have 30 psi all the time. That how most cities operate their water systems.

Another option is a battery bank, with an inverter to operate the pump on demand. Here your storing power.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can add a $500+, 80 gallon size pressure tank anywhere after the Pside-Kick system. Then you can pump it up with the generator and have about 20 gallons of water to use before you have to start the gen set again. Or you can get about 4 of those 5 gallon water bottles for 20 bucks and fill them when the generator is running. You can either pour them into the back of the toilet when needed, or just leave the tank lid off and stand the bottle, neck down on the tank. Those bottles will automatically fill the toilet the same way they fill a dog water bowl.

dirk_411

Reaction score
sorry I wasn't more clear. I did mention utility. Only use the generator for power outages

If you don't have a constant,on demand, source of power, you need to either store power or store water.

What do you do for electricity now, if the generator isn't running?

One option is to pump into a reservoir and have a 12v rd water pump with a battery that is recharged when the generator is running. Here you're storing water. If it was an elevated reservior, you wouldn't even need the pump. Put in a 70 ft or higher reservior, now you have 30 psi all the time. That how most cities operate their water systems.

Another option is a battery bank, with an inverter to operate the pump on demand. Here your storing power.

dirk_411

Reaction score
valveman, do you mean those blue water cooler jugs? with the handle? I told my wife about that and she is cool with it. I actually work for the hydro company that maintains our area and I live directly off our 3 phase circuit so it takes a massive storm to have my power out multiple days. so that means when my power is out I'm not home. want things convenient and functional for wife and kids.... keep that in mind too.

if I was to go the 80gal tank route, would you plumb that in with shut offs so I only use it when on auxiliary power (generator)????

thanks

You can add a $500+, 80 gallon size pressure tank anywhere after the Pside-Kick system. Then you can pump it up with the generator and have about 20 gallons of water to use before you have to start the gen set again. Or you can get about 4 of those 5 gallon water bottles for 20 bucks and fill them when the generator is running. You can either pour them into the back of the toilet when needed, or just leave the tank lid off and stand the bottle, neck down on the tank. Those bottles will automatically fill the toilet the same way they fill a dog water bowl.

Reach4

Reaction score
How about this: Plumb in an 80+ gallon pressure tank anywhere after the CSV, and have a ball valve that can close it off. Put a pressure gauge between the tank and the valve. I think 1/2 inch pipe or bigger would be OK for this, but some might call for larger. Maybe set the pre-charge to 4 PSI below the cut-on pressure instead of the typical 2. Open the valve, and let the pump run until it shuts off. At that point, the the tank is full of water. Close the valve.

If the electricity dies, and you want to use the reserve water, announce water restriction rules, and open the valve. Take steps to make sure the valve does not stay open. Close the valve once the electricity is back on and the pressure is at max.

You want to sanitize your plumbing system including the well after doing well and plumbing work that is near the path of the water you drink. In your case, I think you would add an extra step of making sure that pressure tank gets washed out with chlorinated water during the sanitizing. You don't want to store high-chlorine water in there normally, but you want to get it sanitized.

Getting needlessly fancy, how about an indicator/sound that indicates if the valve is open and the power is back on?

Here is a simpler cheaper way to have toilet flushing water in such a case after the water pressure is gone:
  1. turn off the water heater or put it in vacation mode if you have one
  2. Close the supply valve to the WH (optional after further thought)
  3. Open a high hot tap to admit air. You don't want to open a tap that is lower than the water level if you can avoid it. A vacuum breaker could make opening a faucet to admit air unneeded.
  4. drain water from the WH drain into a suitable container. A bus tub or a clean kitty litter box may be suitable for a low tap. A WH on a stand would make drawing water easier.
  5. Pour the water into the toilet tanks as needed.
  6. Announce if it is yellow, let it mellow.
When back to normal, reverse the steps.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you add an 80 gallon tank just set up the CSV close to the off pressure, so it doesn't take long to refill the big tank. But I don't think you want to leave it full of water for long periods of time, as the water would probably not be very good.

I just use the 5 gallon water bottles like fit a water cooler. Stick the neck down in the toilet tank, and it will fill the tank to the bottle neck and quit.

dirk_411

Reaction score
I think I'm going to just get those water jugs. keep 4-6 stored away...

If you add an 80 gallon tank just set up the CSV close to the off pressure, so it doesn't take long to refill the big tank. But I don't think you want to leave it full of water for long periods of time, as the water would probably not be very good.

I just use the 5 gallon water bottles like fit a water cooler. Stick the neck down in the toilet tank, and it will fill the tank to the bottle neck and quit.

dirk_411

Reaction score
I hear ya's. think what I'll do is strive for 6 jugs. I'm just going to get 6 new sealed ones. I think I'll keep 3 sealed at all times and 3 more empty.... I'm fine with filling them on the generator when required. I'll circulate the 3 sealed potable bottles through our grocery store as required. save me having to worry about all the bleaching of bottles.

Better yet get the large drinking water jugs and don't break the factory seal.

dirk_411

Reaction score
thanks for the input

I hear ya's. think what I'll do is strive for 6 jugs. I'm just going to get 6 new sealed ones. I think I'll keep 3 sealed at all times and 3 more empty.... I'm fine with filling them on the generator when required. I'll circulate the 3 sealed potable bottles through our grocery store as required. save me having to worry about all the

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks