Low yield well and pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Sanner

Reaction score
I just bought a house with a well. When I am taking a shower the water pressure will suddenly drop off and take about 10-15 minutes to come back. I was told it was a low yield well. The pressure in the system literally drops from 40 to 1o psi instantly. It literally drops off.

I have about a 30-40 gallon pressure tank. I was thinking if I installed a large capacity pressure tank that I would have more capacity thereby giving the pump more time to catch up. Is my thinking correct? If not do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is my thinking correct?
No. The bigger tank will just be an additional load on the well. If your well cannot produce fast enough, you need an non-pressurized storage tank that you can fill at the slow rate the well produces and then pump from that storage tank at the rate you need.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like LLigtfa says a larger pressure tank will just be seen as additional load for the well and pump. A cistern storage tank system can make use of the 1440 minutes in a day and a low producing can keep it full. Then an additional booster pump system can give you as much flow and pressure as you need for good showers and stuff.
LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
It is possible that the problem could be handled by the combination of a low flow showerhead and having the submersible pump set a little deeper. If this problem was identified earlier, the pump may have already be set as low as it could go without sucking up sediment.

Do you have a 4 inch ID well, or 5 inch?

Jeff Sanner

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for the great ideas. I am trying to do this on a budget so I may start with the lowest cost option first. It is a 4 inch well so ultimately it may need to be upgraded in size, but these are some good options.

I love these forums because you can get advice from people who don't want to sell you something!