Looking for Solution: PVC to Orangeburg, Roots.

Users who are viewing this thread

cleverwind

Reaction score
I live in a climate with a frost line around 5' and fairly stable conditions both above/below ground.
I have a house built in 1965 with plumbing ranging from PVC/cast iron/copper/lead/orangeburg.

I have a continual issue with roots invading in my backyard where a PVC cleanout that was installed about 10 years ago (before we lived here) meets the Orangeburg pipe.

We've had the line scoped, orangeburg is in excellent condition, no issues all the way to the city meet. We have root infiltration where the pvc joins the orangeburg (it's a vertical pvc cleanout/access that joins the OB line that runs the rest of the prop distance.

I don't have the option of a trenchless solution, as we live in a rural area where the plumbers here haven't even heard of this, and my spouse thinks (as a result of the locals stating they've never heard of such a thing) I'm making this up or have decided some internet hoax is a real solution.

The local plumber, the same guy who says he put the cleanout in ten years ago, and is the one who ran a scope, told my spouse the solution was to dig up the existing cleanout, and use a "new and improved" joining solution, recreating the join between the PVC and Orangeburg. He's stated this "solution" will give us 10 years without roots. Admittedly, I have very little faith in the professionals around my area, as many are either inexperienced, or have solutions that are as old as my house, and have not availed themselves of current education or techniques.

I own a powered rooter and it has been used a bit this year more than we normally would need because of the rain. We've had three or four times the amount of rainfall than usual, so roots are thriving underground, where normally they water would not get that deep (we live in an Alpine desert, 7600 ft).

I need a solution. Running the rooter is apparently too much of an issue for my spouse (and I'm presently pregnant), and spending a couple hundred dollars a year to have a plumber come seems silly. I am concerned this "new solution" will not improve the situation, and I'm concerned it may cause another in the form of disturbing the 50+ year old Orangeburg.

Please help.

Reach4

Reaction score
How far down is the problem joint? A joint should be able to keep roots out. But baring that, how about putting a bunch of copper sulfate buried around the problem joint. That will kill roots in that area and will keep new roots from entering the zone for a good while. How long? I guess that would depend on how much water flows around the outside of the pipe. If that joint is 6 ft down, ouch. Tough digging.

Copper sulfate can be called that, but it can be called other things. http://www.zepcommercial.com/product/Root-Kill is an example.

cleverwind

Reaction score
How far down is the problem joint? A joint should be able to keep roots out. But baring that, how about putting a bunch of copper sulfate buried around the problem joint. That will kill roots in that area and will keep new roots from entering the zone for a good while. How long? I guess that would depend on how much water flows around the outside of the pipe. If that joint is 6 ft down, ouch. Tough digging.

Copper sulfate can be called that, but it can be called other things. http://www.zepcommercial.com/product/Root-Kill is an example.

It's about 5' down, in a grassed yard, to the 90° PVC/OB.

According to his scope, the joint is the issue, but I've had other plumbers clear the line 50' beyond this joint, and we're running the rooter ourselves well beyond 5-6' down and out.

Thinking I'll buy my own scope...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks