Leaving outside faucet/sillcock on all the time

Users who are viewing this thread

B.A.

Reaction score
Hello,
I currently have an Arrowhead 420 series frost free sillcock faucet on my house.
I'm located in MN.

I have the faucets hooked up to timers to water my gardens with low pressure irrigation.
As a result, I have to leave the faucet handles turned on all summer.

Last year I had to replace the stem of the Arrowhead faucets as they were leaking badly.
I shut off the water supply for the winter and disconnected hoses.
When I went to turn on the water yesterday, water is spraying from the weep hole in the stem when the faucet is turned on.

Champion Arrowhead's website states this problem is caused if:
worn out o-ring on the check assembly. This happens
over time or if the faucet is left “ON” for long periods of
time (over 12 hrs)

I just replaced the complete stem last year. Apparently they really aren't designed for this application (Being left on 24/7)?

Are there any other manufacturers of frost-free outdoor faucets which can be left on 24/7 without causing these problems?

The water line run to the faucets is Wirsbo 1/2". Is it hard to change from the Arrowhead to a different product without opening walls and ceilings?

Thank you for the assistance

NPMSTR

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.prier.com
All outside wall faucets that are code approved (have vacuum breakers & backflow preventors) have this requirement, not for continual usage. Many manufacturers make valves without vacuum breakers and backflow preventors but if you install one you open yourself and your neighborhood up the possibility of contamination of the potable water system.

Reach4

Reaction score
You might be able to just wash out the debris and put the vacuum breaker back.

http://champion-arrowhead.com/index.php/arrowhead/part-kits/pk1430.html
maybe you can just identify a compatible o-ring and replace that.

arrowhead-pk1430-install.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks