Leaking Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Roback

Reaction score
1) I have a downstairs slate shower that was installed but not used until a few months ago by one of my kids. Noticed that it had been leaking under the curb. Tested the pan, capped and tested the plumbing lines, with no problem. Upon inspection noticed that the silicone seal where the enclosure meets the curb was deteriorating. Cleaned out and resealed. Still leaks. Ran a level on the curb and see that it pitches outwards. Why would someone do that? It is now leaking through a grout line to the outside. There is a area of slate inside the curb that seems a bit deteriorated and sounds slightly hollow, but so does the inside of the curb. Think it is the structure. I know the right fix is probably to pull off the enclosure, build up the curb with the correct pitch and replace the enclosure. That would add about 2 inches to the curb. It will look stupid, and be uncomfortable to step over! Is there any other solution? Any way I can build up the inside of the curb up to the weep holes and pitch down to nothing?

2) Also, I have an upstairs onyx shower with the same setup. Haven’t used that shower, and don’t want to wait for it to leak, so it should probably be repaired as well, before using.

3) One of my other kids is visiting with a friend for about 10 days later next week. Have to use the downstairs shower. Can I tape plastic over the inside curb
and enclosure w/weep holes to deflect water hitting that area, as a temporary solution for those days? Can use a bath after until the showers are repaired.

4) How can I find a tile person in Los Angeles that knows what they are doing to look st it and advise me on what to do. I meet so many incompetent tradespeople! Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks