Lead & Oakum, What am I dealing here with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephen Majewski

Reaction score
What I'm basically doing is this (with a wye at the end instead of the santee)

The difference being I have a 2" vent instead of 3", and I'm adding one lav drain between the two toilets which is itself dry-vented.

This wouldn't be UPC 908.2, what code sections am I looking for?

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ts-on-same-line-will-this-drawing-work.77840/

Screenshot_20211215-172106.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't drop a toilet into a santee on it's back. It needs to be a wye or combo fitting.
You can drop it into a medium 90 which forces the poop downstream.

Also, in Seattle, they want a wye or combo fitting if it's on the horizontal for the vent.

Stephen Majewski

Reaction score
Here's an updated version of that drawing that reflect what I'm doing. The 2" entering on the left is a shower an lav that each have their own vent

PXL_20211216_015613070.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the san tee on back for vent is wrong too. in upc not that big a deal but no reason to break the code unless its a real hardship use combination wye and 1/8th bend fitting AKA combi.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
How about a top down view.. like an architectural plan view.

Seems you have a lot of head room to run your drains under the joists. Why not utilize horizontal wet venting?

Stephen Majewski

Reaction score
How about a top down view.. like an architectural plan view.

Seems you have a lot of head room to run your drains under the joists. Why not utilize horizontal wet venting?

I have each fixture (showers and lavs) directly vented at the fixture, so I'm not sure if wet venting applies to me. (toilets are basically self-venting, right?). Either way, I have the 2" vent direct to the main horizontal manifold.

I have two toilets and a lav basically right on top of the main stack so I just need to find a way to efficiently combine them without a forest of vertical wyes.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have each fixture (showers and lavs) directly vented at the fixture, so I'm not sure if wet venting applies to me. (toilets are basically self-venting, right?).
No, because toilet venting is needed to prevent pressure waves from the bolus of water, and vacuums from the water passing. To wet vent a toilet you should have two inch. If you vent a shower with 1.5 and a lavatory with 1.5, and combine them, does that count as 2 inch for wet venting the toilet? I don't know. While it seems logical, I doubt it.

You are correct that the main reason for venting of other things is to prevent the trap from siphoning, and the toilet trap siphons on purpose. But you are required to vent the toilet. Toilets in homes are usually wet vented.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The lav is run with 2" will vent two toilets in Seattle.

wet_vent_upc_back_to_back.jpg

Pretty basic drawing from Seattle, needs wyes and more rounded 90's, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The lav is run with 2" will vent two toilets in Seattle.

wet_vent_upc_back_to_back.jpg

Pretty basic drawing from Seattle, needs wyes and more rounded 90's, but you get the idea.

Washington state amended horizontal wet venting dropping the insane requirement that toilets be the most downstream fixture. BUT also require that each bathroom group be vented separately..

Stephen Majewski

Reaction score
This is my latest configuration based on the feedback. I'll need to re-route some copper to get the Santee "off it's back" as I've done

The only thing I haven't addressed here is how the 2" vent ties in (supposed to be a wye)

I have a 2" vent about a foot downstream of one toilet and a foot upstream of the other.

PXL_20211216_220803180.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless those bits are cemented together already, when you do get ready to cement them all up, you'll almost certainly come up short...you cannot generally insert the pipe all the way into the fitting until the cement melts the plastic if you went by dry-fitting the pieces rather than careful measurements.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks