laundry utility tubs

Users who are viewing this thread

bp

Reaction score
This is the first day I've seen this forum so I hope this is the correct place to put this. I am looking for ideas, advise on replacing our washing machine. We live in a 40yr old home and the washer and dryer is in the garage. A plumber last summer mentioned that the existing drain pipe is too short for the newer models of washing machines and it would have to be extended before replacing the washer. Another person has suggested that we install a utility tub there and allow the washer to naturally drain into the septic. There is a floor drain there that has been modified with the washer drain pipe. Now we are not really people to do this ourselves and know very little about plumbing (we are learning after replacing most of these 40 yrold pipes though) so I'm just looking for others' opinions on what could be done. Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What is the existing pipe material? Plastic, galvanized metal, cast iron? It shouldn't be much trouble to extend it some, but also, what is the diameter of the inside of that pipe?

The pumps on automatic washing machines move a lot of water in a short time - the pipe needs to be tall enough and big enough in diameter to allow it to flow without backing up.

bp

Reaction score
The diameter is 1 1/2" and it is some sort of metal (sorry I'm not too knowledgeable in this area). It is about the same height as the washer. I think that is why he was suggesting replacing it with a tub.
Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hj

Unless it is overflowing now, I would not make any revision until you see if the new machine did overflow. I have many customers who still have their 1 1/2" drains without problems. It depends to a great degree on how it is installed.