Laundry faucet hookup

Users who are viewing this thread

Amopower

Reaction score
I am going to install a hot/cold water laundry faucet in my garage, and it looks like it is a brass fixture with 1/2" brass threads.

The nearest hot water line is off the hot water heater, looks like a 3/4" PVC pipe. Would you guys run copper all the way to the water heater, and then use a copper/pvc union at the hot water heater, or would you use PVC all the way up to the faucet?
Thanks for the help

Last edited:

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hope it's CPVC and not PVC. I like copper, but more people are having me run CPVC because of the price explosion. I can make CPVC look pretty, it just needs to be braced more than copper.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Amopower said:
I am going to install a hot/cold water laundry faucet in my garage, and it looks like it is a brass fixture with 1/2" brass threads.

The nearest hot water line is off the hot water heater, looks like a 3/4" PVC pipe. Would you guys run copper all the way to the water heater, and then use a copper/pvc union at the hot water heater, or would you use PVC all the way up to the faucet?
Thanks for the help

Like the other post said cpvc is what you want to run. I would use it for the run, cost and ease of installation. FYI most codes that I deal with require 18in. of metalic tube before you can transition to cpvc. Lots of luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you don't have the time to do it right, where will you get the time to do it over?"

Amopower

Reaction score
Are there any code restrictions that say you have to have a certain amount of straight pipe before you put a valve on? When I tee off the water heater, I would want to put a valve in close to that area to shut it off when necessary.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hope it is clear that PVC and CPVC are not the same. PVC is not allowed for interior plumbing. If you use CPVC, I'd suggest 3/4" to assure that you have plenty of flow. The inside diameter of 1/2" CPVC is fairly small which would cut down on the flow somewhat. Put the valve where you want to. If I was doing it, I come from the tank with 3/4 copper, a ball valve, then transition to CPVC. Reasoning is that the copper would give better support to the valve.

Amopower

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. The material is CPVC coming out of the hot water heater. Would you still transition it to copper for the valve?

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Gary Swart said:
I hope it is clear that PVC and CPVC are not the same. PVC is not allowed for interior plumbing.

I have a dumb question. I have heard the statement a thousand times (even by a plumber friend) that pvc is not allowed for inside plumbing...just never thought to ask anyone before now. Why is it suppose to be so bad? The reason that I ask is that my house is plumbed with both...white pvc on all cold water lines, and the tan cpvc on all hot water lines. It passed inspection, so Im sure its legal here (I think), and Ive never had any problems with it. The only problems that Ive ever had are with those dumb vinyl/rubber looking see through flex hoses that connect my toilets to the stop valves. I wish they would outlaw those things.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
PVC is not designed for pressure, it is typically only used for drains. CPVC can handle (some) pressure and can be used for supply lines.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some PVC is designed for water service, but not hot water. It can handle pretty high psi. It's usually easier to run both hot and cold in CPVC. It would suck to run two different materials for the water. Two kinds if pipe and fittings, 2 kinds of glue. Not for me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks