New water heater - copper directly to hot water connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

theh1n

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently had a new water heater installed (Bradford White 50 Gallon Natural Gas RG2PV50T6N19). I just noticed that the hot water connection on the water heater is directly connected to copper pipe. Conversely, the cold water connection has, what seems to be, a brass fitting in between the water heater and the copper piping. The previous water heater had brass fittings on both hot and cold connected to copper.

My main question is, is the current setup OK (hot water directly connected to copper)? My understanding is that this can potentially leak to galvanic corrosion? Should a brass fitting been used here for longevity? Pictures attached.

Finally, is the pressure relief valve in the proper position? Should this be completely vertical (pictures attached)?

IMG_1165.jpeg
IMG_1169.jpeg
IMG_1167.jpeg
IMG_1168.jpeg

Thank you!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I hope the installer is licensed and has lots of insurance for liability.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was taught use 4 inches minimum brass nipples I seldom see hard piped water heater due to seismic reasons here but not unusual for people to connect copper direct not crazy about it , the connections usuall out last the heater but will get a fail from inspector. Tand p looks ok I dont like it that close to drywall where if it drips. pvc venting Im not crazy about it might be grading up ? dont like all the fittings. looks like the expansion tank and copper isnt supported properly ?
sorry more than you asked for I wouldnt be overly worried nor impressed by the install . hopefully price wasent high

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks