Kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Kurt Kersey

Reaction score
well pump running all the time

:confused:I am starting a well pump for the first time.
The well was shut off back in October 2007.
I had to install a new tank, after that I turned the power on, ran water thruogh the garden hose for about 30 minutes.
I turned off the hose and niticed that the pump was still running.
I closed the valve suppling the house and the pump does not seem to build more than 40 psi. When I turn the pump off the pressure drops to zero witnin 2-3 seconds, almost Like ther is a leak.
Could the supply line running to the house be cracked or is ther another problem ?

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am starting a well pump for the first time.
The well was shut off back in October 2007.
I had to install a new tank, after that I turned the power on, ran water thruogh the garden hose for about 30 minutes.
I turned off the hose and niticed that the pump was still running.
I closed the valve suppling the house and the pump does not seem to build more than 40 psi. When I turn the pump off the pressure drops to zero witnin 2-3 seconds, almost Like ther is a leak.
Could the supply line running to the house be cracked or is ther another problem ?

Both of those symptoms are consistent with a leak somewhere between the pump and the tank.

Confirmation would be to measure the current that the pump is using when it is running, and to CAREFULLY throttle the flow to see how high the pressure gets if there is no flow.

If the current is normal or higher than normal with no flow then there is almost certainly a leak, or a damaged pump.

Kurt Kersey

Reaction score
I measured the amp draw. It is 5 amps with the water running and when it is shut off. Should there be a check valve in the supply line before the tank, or is there a check valve in the pump?

Kurt Kersey

Reaction score
Well Pump running all the time

Both of those symptoms are consistent with a leak somewhere between the pump and the tank.

Confirmation would be to measure the current that the pump is using when it is running, and to CAREFULLY throttle the flow to see how high the pressure gets if there is no flow.

If the current is normal or higher than normal with no flow then there is almost certainly a leak, or a damaged pump.

I measured the amp draw and it is 5 amps with the water turned on to the house and running the garden hose, and it continues to pull 5 amps with the water supply shut off to the house.
T dug down about 4 feet at the entry to the house the ground is dry.
I feel I have a bad Pump?

How can I remove the well pump.