Kitchen Sink Draining Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Megs

Reaction score
I have a double sink in my kitchen, large basin drains into garbage disposal and small basin into the trap. I've had issues with slow draining since we moved in but lately it has gotten so bad, we can't even wash dishes because there is constant standing water. I tried a drain cleaner and that didn't work. Then I removed the trap and the pipe from the disposal to the trap, there was no clog but they were filled with water. I drained all the water out and tried to flush with hot water but again, not draining. Any thoughts how I can correct this?

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a double sink in my kitchen, large basin drains into garbage disposal and small basin into the trap.
That is opposite of the common way.

I tried a drain cleaner and that didn't work. Then I removed the trap and the pipe from the disposal to the trap, there was no clog but they were filled with water.
Sounds like you have a clog, likely in the wall or below. Get somebody to rod out your drain pipes with a professional machine. Maybe post a photo that includes where the drains go into the wall plus the bottom of the sinks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The P-Trap is designed to hold water. That is the seal that prevents air that smells from entering the home.

If the trap is empty of solids from the disposer and the piping is clear to the wall, then the blockage is in the pipes further down, like the wall or below. Sometimes that means hiring someone with a proper snake to clear those lines.

If your disposer is older than eight years, you also might consider getting a new one the chips up food matter into smaller bits.
No grease should go down the drain. That gets poured into the waste to be set out with the cans for pickup.

For grease in lines I use Bio-Clean, which turns food matter into carbon dioxide. It does a number on grease.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks