Kitchen drain rough in just a little too high

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve Zerby

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
I’m installing a double-bowl kitchen sink with a dishwasher inlet and the drain rough-in is about 3/4” too high for the p-trap outflow when I make the flanged DW tailpiece as short as it can be and then add the side inlet piece for the other sink bowl.

I saw the post here about the reversing p-trap that Dearborn makes but would prefer to keep the chrome setup if possible. Any suggestions?

I could cut the flange off the DW tailpiece and push it up further into the strainer outlet as a slip joint instead of a flanged joint. Is there anything wrong with trying that?

Are there shallower strainers with a shorter outlets? These seem to have very long outlets.

Thanks,

Stev

Attachments

• IMG_5491.jpeg
    IMG_5491.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 103

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with the slip-joint tee fitting you show, but assuming you have it in the correct orientation, you can cut its tailpiece shorter, so that there is less pipe showing between the tee portion and the trap inlet. Of course, you'll have to coordinate the height of the tee side inlet with the horizontal drain coming from the other sink.

Modifying the flanged connection at the sink strainer is not a viable option. Looking for a flanged tailpiece with a higher dishwasher inlet is a possibility, although I don't know if they exist. I have seen pictures of double kitchen sinks where the dishwasher inlet is on the horizontal drain going into the tee; not sure if that is advisable.

And just to double check, all the horizontal piping under the sink needs to have 1/4" per foot slope downstream.

Cheers, Wayne

Steve Zerby

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with the slip-joint tee fitting you show, but assuming you have it in the correct orientation, you can cut its tailpiece shorter, so that there is less pipe showing between the tee portion and the trap inlet. Of course, you'll have to coordinate the height of the tee side inlet with the horizontal drain coming from the other sink.

Modifying the flanged connection at the sink strainer is not a viable option. Looking for a flanged tailpiece with a higher dishwasher inlet is a possibility, although I don't know if they exist. I have seen pictures of double kitchen sinks where the dishwasher inlet is on the horizontal drain going into the tee; not sure if that is advisable.

And just to double check, all the horizontal piping under the sink needs to have 1/4" per foot slope downstream.

Cheers, Wayne
If I cut that t-fitting as short as I can I still wind up too low by about 3/4”. I can reverse the j-bend like the Dearborn plastic one does, but then there is very little tailpiece going into the inlet side of j. See photo.

Why would making the strainer connection a slip fitting not be viable? It is physically possible. Too leak prone?

Attachments

• IMG_5493.jpeg
    IMG_5493.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 98

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
In keeping the chrome setup.. .there are much shallower basket strainers out there. That would likely net you the 3/4" you need.

Perhaps even the WYE branch on the horizontal span between sink bowls, as long as its baffle doesn't become an obstruction.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I cut that t-fitting as short as I can I still wind up too low by about 3/4”
So I think what you are saying is that if you take your wye branch flanged tail piece, and line up the tee so the top of it is just below the wye branch, then the bottom of the tee portion is below the inlet of the p-trap? Then I agree that's not going to work. You'll either need a new wye branch with a higher inlet, a shorter strainer basket, or to use a horizontal wye branch.

Why would making the strainer connection a slip fitting not be viable? It is physically possible. Too leak prone?

Good question. I think the answer is that vertical slip joints always have a plain end sticking down, fitting into the oversized cup shaper receiver below. While what you propose would make that upside down. If you stuck the plain end too far up, you'd make a space where water couldn't drain, just outside the tubular pipe. And if you avoid that, then your slip joint connection will have basically no overlap, and it would be unstable.

Cheers, Wayne

Steve Zerby

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
So I think what you are saying is that if you take your wye branch flanged tail piece, and line up the tee so the top of it is just below the wye branch, then the bottom of the tee portion is below the inlet of the p-trap? Then I agree that's not going to work. You'll either need a new wye branch with a higher inlet, a shorter strainer basket, or to use a horizontal wye branch.

Good question. I think the answer is that vertical slip joints always have a plain end sticking down, fitting into the oversized cup shaper receiver below. While what you propose would make that upside down. If you stuck the plain end too far up, you'd make a space where water couldn't drain, just outside the tubular pipe. And if you avoid that, then your slip joint connection will have basically no overlap, and it would be unstable.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks

Steve Zerby

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
In keeping the chrome setup.. .there are much shallower basket strainers out there. That would likely net you the 3/4" you need.

Perhaps even the WYE branch on the horizontal span between sink bowls, as long as its baffle doesn't become an obstruction.
Thanks.

Steve Zerby

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Update: I got shallower strainer baskets. Not great quality, but I gave the client the option of better baskets and plastic plumbing or shallower baskets and metal drains. She chose metal drains. Had about 1/8" to spare.

Attachments

• IMG_5561.jpg
    IMG_5561.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 78

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks good The wye branch tailpiece ate up a lot of height. I had that issue before

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks